Carburetor fitting

/ Carburetor fitting #1  

JazzDad

Gold Member
Tractor
Main: Case 235
I have a walk-behind tiller. It has about a 3 HP Tecumseh engine on it. The gas comes from the tank up front via a fuel line to the carb. Here's where the problem lies: the nylon fitting on the carb (which also makes a 90 degree turn) has cracked. The nipple that protrudes from the carb is too short to slide the fuel line over and clamp. I can't find a replacement nylon fitting. I can't seem to remove that nipple from the carb. I've tried to turn it, but I don't think it's threaded in. I can't get the leverage to pull it straight out without crushing the nipple. I'm thinking to glue on a piece of tubing to make the nipple longer and then have enough length to get a good clamping surface. Would something like JB Weld work, and if it did, would it last under the rigors of tilling vibrations? Or, does anyone know if that carb nipple is cast on or somehow removable? Thanks!

/ Carburetor fitting #2  
Have you checked with a small engine repair shop? Any place that fixes lawn mowers etc. should be able to help you out. I have replaced the nylon fitting before. It is splined & is just pressed in. Alot of times when removing the fuel line the fitting will get twisted & start to leak. Before you go, make sure you take the numbers off of the engine. In most cases, just telling them a 3 hp tecumseh won't be enough for them to look up the proper pn.

/ Carburetor fitting
Thank you, Ron. I was hoping someone was familiar with how that fitting might attach. Knowing that it is pressed in, I will now put an oomph on it to pull it out. (I didn't want to pull if it was threaded!) I learned long ago to take the part in (if you can) along with the model & serial numbers.