electrical self propelled push mower?

/ electrical self propelled push mower? #1  

boggen

Elite Member
Tractor
SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester
need a new push mower self propelled for my mom.

is it better to just get a generic gas unit. or go with electric?

not wanted corded, but a battery version. hopefully ability to easily swap out a second battery if needed.

need to lift it in/out of truck. so weight is a factor. she uses a piece of plywood as a ramp. but still weight is a factor.

have yet to do any web searching, just got a call to see if i could find anything.

/ electrical self propelled push mower? #2  
I've had the 56 volt Ego lawn tools a little over 6 months now. Self propelled 21" mower with a 7.5 Ah battery and quick charger, the string trimmer with a 2.5 Ah battery and the slower charger, and the leaf blower with a 2.5 Ah battery (no additional charger needed). I mow, trim, and edge our own lawn as well as the next door neighbor's lawn (he is 87 and in bad health). I've used the mower 25 times so far. With Ego, any battery works in any tool. I can mow all of our yard, the neighbor's front yard and about half his back yard before that 7.5 battery quits, so I just put it on the charger and go ahead and finish mowing with one of the 2.5 batteries. And the mower is lighter than my old Toro was, and has real handy handles to use to pick it up. It seems perfect for what your mother wants. You can buy them at Home Depot, although I got mine from a lawn equipment place in Addison, TX (same price as Home Depot).

I love the EGO stuff, but can't say there aren't other brands as good because I've not used any of the other brands.

/ electrical self propelled push mower? #3  
I've had the 56 volt Ego lawn tools a little over 6 months now. Self propelled 21" mower with a 7.5 Ah battery and quick charger, the string trimmer with a 2.5 Ah battery and the slower charger, and the leaf blower with a 2.5 Ah battery (no additional charger needed). I mow, trim, and edge our own lawn as well as the next door neighbor's lawn (he is 87 and in bad health). I've used the mower 25 times so far. With Ego, any battery works in any tool. I can mow all of our yard, the neighbor's front yard and about half his back yard before that 7.5 battery quits, so I just put it on the charger and go ahead and finish mowing with one of the 2.5 batteries. And the mower is lighter than my old Toro was, and has real handy handles to use to pick it up. It seems perfect for what your mother wants. You can buy them at Home Depot, although I got mine from a lawn equipment place in Addison, TX (same price as Home Depot).

I love the EGO stuff, but can't say there aren't other brands as good because I've not used any of the other brands.

How big is your lawn or how many hours per 7.5 charge?

/ electrical self propelled push mower? #4  
How big is your lawn or how many hours per 7.5 charge?

These are just small city lots; 70' wide by 155' deep. I have to mow around 6 trees and an 8' x 10' garden tool storage building in my yard, and a couple of trees, some shrubs, and an extra fence in the neighbor's yard. I've never really timed it, but I reckon that 7.5 battery will go an hour and a half or a bit more. Another thing that's different in my opinion, for a battery powered tool, is the fact that the motor never slows down as the battery discharges. It's either going full tilt or it's stopped. On the back side of the motor housing is a green light that turns red, probably 5 to 10 minutes before it shuts down. And after the motor turning the blade shuts down, the self propelled function still works so it will pull itself back to the storage building, if you so wish. It also has LED headlights, so I occasionally mow our own yard in the morning before daylight. And if you don't use the self propelled function, it's still the easiest mower to push that I ever used.

If it sounds as if I'm selling them, I'm not.:laughing: No financial interest at all. Incidentally, there are several youtube videos of how they work, how you can clean them, etc.

/ electrical self propelled push mower? #5  
I just pulled the manual and it shows for the 7.5 battery to run 30 minutes under heavy load, 45 minutes under medium load, and 60 minutes under light load. And of course "The actual running time will vary with grass condition: species, density, moisture, etc." I think they are being very conservative in their numbers, and I don't blame them for that.

Incidentally, the manual says it weighs 62.61 lbs. and the 7.5 battery can take up to 60 minutes to fully recharge; 25 minutes for their 2 Ah battery packs and of course in between those times for the 2.5, 4.0, 5.0, etc. batteries.

/ electrical self propelled push mower? #6  
Thanks Bird, I was curious since I had seen a few ads for them. Wouldn't work for me now, but if my circumstances change and I end up on a lot smaller property it would be under consideration, no gas, oil and probably a lot quieter than a gas mower.

/ electrical self propelled push mower?
thanks Bird for all the info :)

looking at the numbers, figure 1 hour run time with old gas push mower. then cost of additional batteries. electrical mower to much $$$. other con i saw most of the push mowers on amazon, ebay, walmart, menards, homedept, lowes, etc... were all rear discharge. hills + wet grass = slip and fall. need side discharge. and no need for a clippings bagger.

the hills, plus grass is really thick, i never remember name of the grass she has but it is very very thick. it can bog down a mower quickly. i doubt a electric mower would last battery wise, and going through a 2 or more 7.5ah batteries.

==============
if she could use say deep cycle trolling motor battery (smaller size) and toss them on a generic trickle charger setup. it might be a different story. trolling motor battery = her way of fishing!, she understands that and can handle it. and most likely would go for it, thinking of re-using batteries between mower and trolling motor on boat.

==============
time to go find a self propelled gas mower. with hopefully deck that can be adjusted a bit higher and side discharge.

/ electrical self propelled push mower? #8  
Ryan, the mower comes with the rear bagger and I frequently use it. But it also comes with a "mulching insert - preinstalled". Of course you just pull it out to use the bagger. The mower does NOT come with the side discharge chute, but you can order one from the company AT NO CHARGE. I did order it, and use it. It fits into the rear discharge outlet at the back of the mower and directs the clippings out the right side.

I like the fact that the mower is quiet, easy to use, no gas or oil to mess with, can turn it up or on its side to wash the bottom of the deck, can store it in a small space, if needed, has headlights so I can mow before daylight in the heat of the summer, and comes with a 5 year warranty.

HOWEVER, the batteries are quite expensive and the batteries and chargers only have a 3 year warranty. Only time will tell, but I do NOT expect it to save money over gas powered mowers, in the long run.

When I bought the EGO electric, I gave my daughter and grandson my Toro self propelled mower with their "personal pace" system. It was still in warranty and was a very nice mower for a gas powered mower. But being in town, I wouldn't want to disturb the neighbors with the noise too early in the morning. In fact, city ordinance prohibits such before 7 a.m.

/ electrical self propelled push mower? #9  
The biggest complaint that I, and others who have posted such, have about the EGO lawn mower is the lack of a high lift blade to lift the grass to cut it, and to blow clippings more forcefully out the side discharge or into the bag. Day before yesterday, I checked their website and they now have available a new high left blade. I found that neither any of the Home Depots in this part of the country nor the lawn equipment company from whom I bought my EGO equipment have the high lift blade in stock, but both say they can order it for me. So my dealer is supposed to have one for me by the end of the week.

So, as soon as I get that blade, and the weather gets dry enough, I'll be doing some dethatching with the Mantis tiller dethatcher, and then mowing with the bagger.

/ electrical self propelled push mower? #10  
Hi everyone.

Does any of you folks know anything about robot lawnmowers? I have seen several types. Among those I have looked at, is this one: Robot lawn mower review - Robomow RS63 Is the Robomow something you can recommend?