ZTR Purchase. Picking between a few local available brands.

/ ZTR Purchase. Picking between a few local available brands. #11  
You'll be well served with a Toro TimeCutter MX4250 with a 42" deck. You can get a fabricated deck on them as well as a Kawsaki engine. For the price, it is tough to beat and you don't need anything with heavier HST drives because your yard is small and you'll spend the next 20 years putting 300 hours on the thing.

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/riding-mowers/timecutter-mx4250-74760

I used a 2x4 jammed between the frame and the deck to lift my old Toro Timecutter that I rested on the top of one of my steel lawn chairs, but if you need something better to lift a zero-turn for servicing the blades, then consider a Mo-Jack.

I thought toro dropped the kawasaki engine on the residential models in favor of a no name toro branded last year. You could still get the kohler but he wanted the kaw. Kawasaki was having some capacity issue or something. I have a buddy who was looking for one and was able to find a 2015 left over. He was not all that impressed with the cut quality. The smart speed is a gimmick it only changes the input from the control sticks it does not actually increase torque via gear ratio etc for towing.

On another note for the o.p.
a fabricated deck on the low cost models would not be a deal breaker they are still made from thin gauge metal probably not much stronger and unless they include baffles a stamped drawn deck might actually provide better cut quality.

A kubota pro 60" deck weighs over 300lbs. the rzt 54 kh " cub with fabricated deck weighs 610 lbs in total engine frame etc.

/ ZTR Purchase. Picking between a few local available brands. #12  
bhepper, you say 1/3 acre and tight areas... stick with a 42in. Eric the O may have best advice with Toro/Kawasaki. But do look at the Kubota/Kawasaki Z122 as well. Maybe a few dollars more but 0down/0financing and a solid contender... I feel built as a better than homeowner quality machine. Sounds like hours aren't going to be an issue you but engine reliability over lots of years will be. KA WA SA KI.

/ ZTR Purchase. Picking between a few local available brands.
Haven't made a purchase yet. I like the larger deck and tires on the Raptor Limited but like the red/black, seat, warranty on the Alpha.

My dealer is getting some (2016) Country Clipper Wrangler 48" leftovers from his distributor. It has the Joystick, Engine Guard, Muffler Shield, Flip Up Deck, heavier/larger spindle shafts and Higher Blade Tip Speed than the others. It might also have a deeper deck though can't find deck height anywhere. Price will be similar to the Raptor Limited (2016) 52 and Alpha 42 with full Country Clipper Warranty.

/ ZTR Purchase. Picking between a few local available brands. #14  
I thought toro dropped the kawasaki engine on the residential models in favor of a no name toro branded last year. You could still get the kohler but he wanted the kaw. Kawasaki was having some capacity issue or something. I have a buddy who was looking for one and was able to find a 2015 left over. He was not all that impressed with the cut quality. The smart speed is a gimmick it only changes the input from the control sticks it does not actually increase torque via gear ratio etc for towing.

On another note for the o.p.
a fabricated deck on the low cost models would not be a deal breaker they are still made from thin gauge metal probably not much stronger and unless they include baffles a stamped drawn deck might actually provide better cut quality.

A kubota pro 60" deck weighs over 300lbs. the rzt 54 kh " cub with fabricated deck weighs 610 lbs in total engine frame etc.

Turns out I'm wrong. I thought it was a Toro engine cover on the venerable 651cc FS Kawasaki engine, but it is a 708cc engine that according to ad-copy is "their exclusively built 24.5 horse power 708cc V-Twin ZX series engine which has been specifically designed and engineered for zero turn mowers helping to maximize performance." Anyway, this is the base-model of what the Kawsaki 651cc FS engine looks like (although different air filters systems may looks different):

TimeCutter-Kawasaki-EngineCO2372_tcz_24hp_kawi_engine.jpg

/ ZTR Purchase. Picking between a few local available brands. #15  
There is a dealer approx. 90 miles away which carries Aries/Gravely. I see Aries has their 5 year promo going and the Icon X 52" is priced below 3k. It is just under 54" wide with chute up according to the sales rep (shows wider on Aries' site) so it might fit in the shed. There is a local mower service shop which is listed as a dealer but doesn't sell who says he can warranty it an Aries for sure so wouldn't have to make the trip to the dealer. Is it worth looking at vs the mowers I am already considering or am I not gaining anything? Any help with the comparison would be great!
The Ariens Ikon X you mentioned has great reviews on the Home Depot website. I looked at it and decided it probably wasn't best for my yard, which is fairly large and rough. I went with a Gravely ZT HD which was more expensive, but has heavier gauge steel, stronger frame, larger tires, etc. to handle the yard better.

/ ZTR Purchase. Picking between a few local available brands. #16  
FWIW, here is an overview of the 708cc V-twin Toro/Exmark engine.

Still looking. Here are the mowers (all new) I am debating on:

2016 Hustler Raptor Limited 52
2017 Big Dog Alpha 42
2017 Big Dog Alpha MP 48
2016 Country Clipper Wrangler 48

That Alpha MP is approx $800-1000 more than the others.

Went with Alpha 52. Little more money but not as much as the MP and get the 52" deck of the Raptor.

/ ZTR Purchase. Picking between a few local available brands. #19  
Went with Alpha 52. Little more money but not as much as the MP and get the 52" deck of the Raptor.

This is the internet. Photos or it didn't happen. =)

They are setting up and delivering today (4/25). Good thing I chose the 52 as they sold the 42 yesterday when I went out there.

Last edited: