Keeping deer out

/ Keeping deer out #1  

Tigershark

Silver Member
Tractor
KIOTI NX5510 Cab HST with Backhoe
We own around 43 acres and are planting 25 acres of soy beans this year. A few acres of corn and for the first time we are planting about an acre garden. Tons of deer around and trying to decide between a solar electric fence or deer netting around the garden. Any recommendations ? Thanks for any input.

/ Keeping deer out #2  
I put out motion lights on stakes in the garden.

We have a small herd in the area , 6-10 animals. So far the lights have kept the browsing down.

'keeping my fingers crossed...

/ Keeping deer out #3  
NC extension did some research. A double fence... two low fences separated by 36 inches seemed as effective as a 8 foot deer fence. Do an internet search for more details.

/ Keeping deer out #4  
I'll buy my veggies at the farmers market before I'll double fence the gardens. $$$$ :)

/ Keeping deer out #5  
I have 3 fence chargers running to protect young trees. Tee posts litter my yard but I spray paint green the white tips and yellow insulators and that helps. Deer learn and stay away. I use 2 strands aluminized poly wire for hot and a bare ground for some strength against pesky bucks. I spend a couple hours per year repairing lines. But check monthly. Occasionally, Stampeding deer will break through. They walk my yard and regularly turn on motion lights, never have noticed the lights have an effect. But my garden is fenced and my protected areas are small compared to an acre. I planted trees in a deer run and left a fenced path through the trees rather then try to break their habit. Some surrounding fences are hot and some are not. ( never ran the connecting feed) So far, it's been effective. Note though, my young trees, mostly hemlock, aren't the dining attraction that your garden will be!

/ Keeping deer out #6  
We have thousands of acres of wine grapes around here. The folks that fence use the 8' no climb. Never seen an effective electric fence. It's a huge upfront investment and then it's virtually done- very little maintenance. I know that makes for an expensive garden and probably not what you wanted to hear. Good luck.

/ Keeping deer out #7  
I put out motion lights on stakes in the garden.

We have a small herd in the area , 6-10 animals. So far the lights have kept the browsing down.

'keeping my fingers crossed...
What we do is close to this. My wife goes to yard sales and find these motion figures used at Halloween and we put them on stakes around the garden and we have no problem with deer and there are plenty of them around. After years of trying lot's of different things this works far better than any.

/ Keeping deer out #9  
High fence your best bet if not electric fence,one hot line high and one low which also make other critter think twice...good luck.

/ Keeping deer out
Thanks for all the suggestions and information