How should I groove my zero turn tires?

/ How should I groove my zero turn tires? #11  
   / How should I groove my zero turn tires? #12  
I'd cut 1/2 of the knobs completely off.

/ How should I groove my zero turn tires? #13  
I'd cut 1/2 of the knobs completely off.

x2 checker board it. every other knob cut off.

============
will push for going and buying a set of another tire.
the fumes of the eventual burning of rubber as you take router to tire, is a bit way to much.

============
x2 to person stating lowering pressure in tires. max pressure just makes for rough ride and less tire in contract with ground.

============
x2 to person saying adding weight to rear of zero turn and behind the wheels. think of a tetter tottor (child playground), you are placing weight on the front swivel tires, and taking weight off the rear tires, and loosing traction.

============
uncles old home, has a nasty steep hill. run around home or to another hill not as steep to drive up. then grip seat with butt, knuckles turning white on steering wheel. and away she goes down in a straight line, and you dare not try to turn or hit brakes or you risk sliding and rolling over. all you can do is wait till ya get to the bottom and then slow down on a longer flat area.

/ How should I groove my zero turn tires?
All good points and well taken. As many of you have suggested, I may end up with new tires, but I'm not going there without a fight! LOL.

I run 7-8psi. I tried 5psi but ran a tire off the rim on my bumpy ground.

This operator will not add rear weight without adding front weight too and I'm not sure how good that will be for the hydro motors.

I've been up on the rear anti-scalp wheels several times. Once I tipped sideways and barely did an emergency 180^ back down the hill. Roll bar and seat belt were in use (unfortunately, adult diaper was not!).

Currently I do the crawl up and (hopefully) controlled slide down. Been pressing my luck for 2years...

I think I will start with one diagonal groove and test. I will progress to a 'checkerboard,' as suggested. If that fails, I will price tires and solicit opinions on which ones. Seem reasonable?

/ How should I groove my zero turn tires? #15  
I have bar tires on my Grasshoppers, and they get great traction. The last one came with these OTR 22 Mag tires, which seem to be a little more aggressive that the Carlisle or Kenda tires.
OTR 22 Mag OTR Wheel Engineering, Inc.

Attachments

• 22mag.png
    22mag.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 102
   / How should I groove my zero turn tires? #16  
Not knowing your slopes, and only knowing mine, I would say first the lower pressure. We run 6lbs on each tire and it is recommended to run 4lbs on sever slopes for our machine.

I would say there is no real harm on the checkerboard idea. Assuming that the meat between the nobs is thick enough not to tear free. and it would save you the cost of new tires, at least for the moment.

Attempt number1 below. 348 of those little suckers per tire.

Base on y'alls input, I'm not optimistic... Hopefully I'll be able to try them out tomorrow.

IMG_20170508_163017585-2254x4007.jpg

/ How should I groove my zero turn tires? #18  
You did a fine job there:thumbsup:
You know, I wonder what some of those screw in studs that Windy ridge has would do for you. They were amazing on the tractor in the snow and @ about $1 each it might be worth a try thinking that 4 wheeler tires may be hard to find for your rim. I've never tried but what ATV tires I bought seem to be brand specific in size. They could be removed and used on the tractor if it's a "fail" on the lawn.

That's an interesting thought. I have some screw-in atv studs lying around... Hmmm.

/ How should I groove my zero turn tires? #20  
They might be a little hard on the turf, but so is 2, er make that 3 skid marks :laughing: