Watering a garden

/ Watering a garden #1  

Tigershark

Silver Member
Tractor
KIOTI NX5510 Cab HST with Backhoe
We planted a large garden about 100 yards away from our 1 acre pond. We have no other water source. the difference in height is about 5 ft where the pond is lower. I have a generator and was thinking about buying a harbor freight pump to pump water to the garden, carrying 5 gallons jugs stinks. Does anyone know if a 1/2 pump with a decent lift can pump through a garden hose 100 yards ? I have a Honda 2000eu generator so I could run a pump, I have a trash pump but think that is kind of overkill. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated . The pumps I am looking out do between 2-6k gallons per hour for the 1/3 to 1/2 hp. Pond is super clean so I don't think I would have to deal with much sediment

Thanks

/ Watering a garden #2  
If you've got a trash pump, why not just get a couple of sprinkler heads and water with that?

They'll put out a lot more water and cover a larger area than a small hose pump and it won't take as long to get it watered in.

I'd also put a good strainer on the suction end of any pump you might wind up using.

/ Watering a garden #3  
I am not sure how large your garden is but you could buy plastic barrels and connect them in parallel or you could buy a larger plastic tank and pump water into every so often with a trash pump or use a level gage and a small pump using solar power.

/ Watering a garden
We went with a 1/3 hp pump from HF 4 100ft hoses and my wife is very happy she can water the entire garden except the corn. the garden is around 3/4 acre I told her to limit the watering to 3 times a week if it doesn't rain. Pump pumps 2000 gallons an hour so trying to limit how often we pump so we don't drain the pond down. We are in the process of building a second pond above the first one so it should feed into the existing one. once it is completed and filled we won't have any issues using the pump all the time.
I run the HF pump off my Honda EU2000

/ Watering a garden #5  
increase the hose / pipe diameter between pond and garden. from 1/2" up to 1" (inside diameter). that in itself with reduce pressure loss.

any sump pump, to trash pump will work, but if you are gong to use a trash pump. you need a larger diameter hoses. so crud does not get hung up inside the hoses. and at fittings. most trash pumps can pass X size solid. sump pumps on other hand tend to not handle moss, small fish, little rocks, and mud very well and will clog up quickly.

most sump pumps and trash pumps are not really rated for continuously running. and can and will over heat and spew oil out of them, or end up shocking you as electrical connections come un-done. while the pumps can run for some time. they are not made, to run non stop all day long most of the time. they are better suited for running a few minutes to half hour at a time, and then having an hour to cool off. then run again. (granted that may be extremes for some pumps, but trying to get notion across about utility rated pumps),

to note it 2 to 6K GPH (gallons per hour), seems like way to much pump. your talking a 2" maybe even a 3" pipe feeding them and coming off of them. your going to drown the garden. and i am going to guess the small generator may not even handle the pumps, as far as AMP ratings. i may be wrong. back it down to couple hundred gallons per hour. at say 40 PSI at around 10 to 20 feet of head of water. maybe up to 60 PSI. and you will more likely feel like you have a "garden hose" hooked up to the house water supply.

make sure you pay attention to AMP ratings, of the pumps. so you do not go over your generator max amps for 110v plug.

in order to get trash pump and/or suction hose out far enough into pond, so you are not sucking in weeds, fry/ small fish, and dirt. your going to need some sort of "float" trying to toss suction hose or trash pump onto end of rope and "fling, toss" it out into the pond, (shakes head no) just asking for clogged up pump with mud.

hard board insulation, to pvc pipe, to milk jugs, to old LP 5 gallon or smaller gas tanks, can be used as floats.

keep the end of pump or suction off the mud/ bottom by a couple feet if possible. if not any sort of sprinkler head will get clogged up quickly.

if you want to make a "custom" diy spray bar / sprinkler. take say a 1/2" to 1" pvc pipe, cut a V grove into a 2x4, and then clamp pipe into V notch, then use a drill press, to drill a row of holes, 1 or 2 rows, start with smaller size bit first and see what it like and if need be go with larger holes.

if you are pulling the pump in/out each time used. then some sort of telescoping pole helps. example a manual "pole saw" that reaches 30 to 40 feet up for cutting a branch, just take blade off, and use the pole to push/pull hose end in/out of pond.

if you are going to install hose for good, "block poly" pipe, is what i call it, comes in "rolls" 3 to 4 feet in diameter. most local hardware stores have it outside some place. tends to be cheaper. you could still use as a temporary hose above ground, it will want to coil up and lay ugly, if you leave it out in the sun un-rolled, it should heat up enough in a days time, to lay flatter.

/ Watering a garden #6  
I irrigate my garden with soaker hose down each row, it puts the water only where it's needed and tends to cut down on the weeds as well since the soil surface in the pathways stays dry. Most soaker hoses have a cap on the end so you can flush out the big trash, if your water has super fine particulates it could plug up the soaker hose.

/ Watering a garden
my 1/3 hp HF pump is working great, 4 100 ft hoses and my wife is very happy, hopefully we will get some rain so I don't drain my pond but everything is good so far. I put the pump in a pool skimmer netting attached to a pole so it doesn't sit on the bottom, our pond is very clean and clear except when our labs go swimming. I estimate with the lift we pump 1500+ an hour so we try to limit watering to 2-3 times a week for an hour. Not enough pressure to run a sprinkler so she just walks around with the hose. It is all good
thanks for the advice

/ Watering a garden #8  
I told her to limit the watering to 3 times a week if it doesn't rain.

Duration (length of time) is way more important than frequency (how often).
Longer watering times gets more soil penetration.
The best way would be drip irrigation with a soaker hose, your system may not allow for that.

/ Watering a garden #9  
I would just do it with the trash pump. Seems redundant to use a generator to run an electric pump for water transfer.

I do this all the time. Get yourself a 300ft roll of black poly pipe cheap 1" will be ok 1- 1/4" be better but much more expensive. 2" thread reducers and the some barb to hose and pipe thread fittings. But its your investment.

As long as it just water transfer and your not trying to do sprinkler heads you can move water that distance easily its the head rise that is more important just like the suction lift is.

/ Watering a garden #10  
How about a wind turbine water pump? Free power and beautiful to look at. Ranchers have been doing it for over a century.

IMG_4306.JPG