Ryobi, could it be overheating?

/ Ryobi, could it be overheating? #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Yea, I bought a 4 stroke Ryobi string trimmer about 3 yrs. ago. I must say I've been pretty disappointed with it.

It runs fine for about the 1st ten minutes or so, longer if I'm easy on it with a lot of walking and not much cutting. When I really put it to work on a fence row it just can't hack it. It sputters and slows down at full throttle. I think it overheats. If I shut it down for 15 or 20 minutes it runs fine again as long as I don't work it too hard. It's been like that since the day I bought it. I should of taken it back, but I rarely take anything back it seems.

I tried putting aftermarket plastic blades on it once. That was a big mistake. I trashed the end of the flexible shaft and had to replace it for about 30 bucks. I put the string back on it but it was too late, about 3 uses later the gears in the cutting head let go. That cost me another 30 or 40 bucks. I can't remember exactly.

From day one I noticed that it was very uncomfortable to run. The trigger is set too far back from the cutting head for my liking. I have to have my trigger arm bent to run it with my hand back behind my waist. I've tried just about everything to make it more comfortable to run but haven't figured it out.
I've run a few other trimmers and never noticed that problem.

If I could get the thing to run long enough to do my fence rows and the rest of the yard.(about 2 hrs.) I would probably keep using it. If not I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and buy another one. Any Ideas? Synthetic oil maybe?

Thanks,
Kevin

/ Ryobi, could it be overheating? #2  
I have one of these and haven't had a problem one with it. It has been a great little beast. When I start weedeating with it I usually run it for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours at a time just shutting down long enough to refuel me & it twice. Now once I've run it for that long I'm pretty much shot, but it is ready to keep going. I finally decide last year that I should change the plug after about 7 years. The original still looked good though. We have basically every attachment you can get for them except the edger and use all of them regularly w/o a problem. I wish I could help you, but since I haven't had a problem I can't. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif or guess it should be a /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif for me. The only compaint about is the weight, it is a bit heavy.

/ Ryobi, could it be overheating? #3  
It coud be as simple as a minor carb adjustment. At full throttle when acting up try adjusting the carb just remember how many turns to bring it back where it was, if it gets worse. I think I would change and gap the spark plug first.