Battery powered yard tools

/ Battery powered yard tools #2  
Yes, for about two months I had a really cute string trimmer. It was an 18 V, Li, Ryobi. It worked just great but I soon found that I needed something much bigger, more power & with longer run time. I ended up with a Stihl FS350 trimmer.

/ Battery powered yard tools #3  
Yes, for about two months I had a really cute string trimmer. It was an 18 V, Li, Ryobi. It worked just great but I soon found that I needed something much bigger, more power & with longer run time. I ended up with a Stihl FS350 trimmer.

I have that 18v LIon Ryobi, and with the 4 amp battery, I find I am "done" trimming before the battery runs out. I am old and fat though. :) It doesn't have the power that my gas trimmer does but it has a lot more than the corded trimmer my wife bought and a whole lot more convenience. All in all it is my go to trimmer. I also have the ryobi chainsaw type limb trimmer. I really like it too and you can reach up there and trim off limbs. Every tractor owner should have one. Ryobi is a "budget" brand, but they are not bad for the money. I have a lot of tools that use that 18 volt LiOn pack so I always have fresh batteries and rotate them thru the charger.

/ Battery powered yard tools #4  
Ha,ha - I'm old & fat also. And right at this moment, I'm glad its RAINING AGAIN because otherwise I would be out chipping thinned pine trees again. I've thinned about 750-800 small pines and now its time to start chipping and these 'ol bones are still sore from yesterdays chipping activities. Want to know how a donkey must feel - start dragging 30 foot long x 4" diameter pine trees up to your chipper for half a day.

Anyhow, the Ryobi was a good little unit - gave it to my son and he still uses it around his house in town. I just trim a lot of small shrubs, thick weeds and heavy grass that work better with a bigger trimmer.

/ Battery powered yard tools #5  
Ha,ha - I'm old & fat also. And right at this moment, I'm glad its RAINING AGAIN because otherwise I would be out chipping thinned pine trees again. I've thinned about 750-800 small pines and now its time to start chipping and these 'ol bones are still sore from yesterdays chipping activities. Want to know how a donkey must feel - start dragging 30 foot long x 4" diameter pine trees up to your chipper for half a day.

Anyhow, the Ryobi was a good little unit - gave it to my son and he still uses it around his house in town. I just trim a lot of small shrubs, thick weeds and heavy grass that work better with a bigger trimmer.

Yep, if I am going after the brush or even heavy weeds it is time to break out the big gas trimmer. But for everyday trimming I sure appreciate the Ryobi 18volt. But my big gas trimmer weighs a ton (4 cycle) and wears me out after a while toting it up and down these hills.

/ Battery powered yard tools #6  
I bought an 18V hedge trimmer a month ago because i have ryobi tools. I was skeptical but i love it. I cut about 3.5 acres and the honeysuckle/woods ect is always growing out into the yard making me duck when mowing. It does a great job on everything up to 1/2 or so. Battery life is impressive.

/ Battery powered yard tools #7  
I bought an 18V hedge trimmer a month ago because i have ryobi tools. I was skeptical but i love it. I cut about 3.5 acres and the honeysuckle/woods ect is always growing out into the yard making me duck when mowing. It does a great job on everything up to 1/2 or so. Battery life is impressive.

One of the things I like about my Ryobi setup is that you can continue to buy tools without the batteries and chargers. I only have 3 batteries for about a dozen tools. I do have 2 chargers, but only use one. I like the idea of rotating batteries thru many different tools. Of course Lithium batteries are so much better than the old NiCads in longevity and shelf life.

/ Battery powered yard tools #8  
One of the things I like about my Ryobi setup is that you can continue to buy tools without the batteries and chargers. I only have 3 batteries for about a dozen tools. I do have 2 chargers, but only use one. I like the idea of rotating batteries thru many different tools. Of course Lithium batteries are so much better than the old NiCads in longevity and shelf life.

Very true, James. All of my old Ryobi NiCad batteries are dead, and all of the new lithium ion batteries are In great shape.

/ Battery powered yard tools #9  
I picked up some 24v greenworks hedge trimmer, string trimmer, blower, and pole saw for fairly cheap.

I was pleasantly surprised on the pole saw. It needs a better chain and tensioner but it works pretty well and last a long while.
The hedge trimmer also works pretty good too.
The string trimmer and blower are ok but a little weak and the blower chews through the batteries like there's no tomorrow.

However, I would not recommend them for one reason. They are constantly changing their battery style on newer models and they are not interchangeable.
I ended up buying some bare tools w/out batteries because I thought my other one would work but found it did not. After researching I discovered there are quite a few different batteries that they made over the years that are different.