Zero Turn for 4 acres?

/ Zero Turn for 4 acres? #1  

Automobilist

Tractor
New Holland T1510 HST, Husqvarna mower
Ok, I know there have been a bunch of zero-turn mower posts. In my case, I'm paying $600+/month to have the four acres of lawn mowed / trimmed.

I tried to do it myself with our Husqvarna 48" riding mower, but it couldn't really keep up with the rapid spring growth here in the great Pacific North Wet. Probably because I don't like mowing four hours at a time, twice a week...

Hired a decent little crew to do it, for the aforementioned $600+/month. I'm typically more of a do-it-myself type, but eight hours a week mowing & trimming is not really my bag.

The mow crew uses a combination of a Toro Timecutter 42" Zero-turn, a couple push mowers, and a couple Stihl weed whackers. If it was just mowing, no trimming / edging, I would probably not mind it. But swinging a weed whacker around the 30 trees lining our driveway, plus a few dozen other trees on the property is a bit much.

So, before I resign myself to paying at least $7500/year for the yard work, I thought I would get opinions on what to do.
Premise: we know that having a gardener will cost at least $7500/year to maintain the yard. They assume all responsibility for equipment purchase, fuel, maintenance, etc. Plus, their labor is included in the fee.

If I buy a comparable Toro Zero Turn machine, that's about $3900. Plus a small $450 power mower for trimmer, and I already have a nice Stihl weed wacker. So, I could invest about $4400 now, and do it myself. I then carry the expenses of fuel, maintenance, repairs, etc. Plus, it would probably take about 6 hours total, if the zero-turn claims are correct.

Fortunately, in the wintry months here, the grass slows it's growth to a crawl until spring. Fortunately, NO real snow here...

We went to a local tractor type dealer today, who tried to get us into a Grasshopper or Walker mower. But at $9,000-12,000, I would simply keep the gardener service than pay that much. The dealer kept saying that the Walker is the "Rolls Royce" of mowers. Maybe, but I've owned a Bentley, and I think a good solid Chevy is more what I want in a mower...

Spend the $4400 and do it all myself? Spend $600/month and let the "pro's" do it?
Other good alternatives to a Toro, if I decide to buy one?

/ Zero Turn for 4 acres? #2  
Good post... dilemma for sure. Figure your time. Some like me enjoy mowing with my z-turn and propelled pusher. Keeps me moving. But I don't have the acreage to mow. Boils down to how you want to 'spend' your time? What is an hour of your time worth... if you enjoy the task? or if you don't? Looking forward to reading replies on this one. Will say, Z-turns are more fun than garden tractors when it comes to mowing.

/ Zero Turn for 4 acres? #3  
   / Zero Turn for 4 acres? #4  
It would be a no brainer for me, I'd buy a big mower and a trimmer and be done with it. I have a 61" Scag and mow about 3 1/2 acres. It takes about 2 hours, and then 30-45 mins to weedeat. In less than 18 months you have the same money spent, but the equity of a new mower. I understand time is money, but to me that's a lot of money for something I can do myself.

/ Zero Turn for 4 acres?
While we're at it: Any views on the Cub Cadet steering wheel units, versus the typical handle bar types?

/ Zero Turn for 4 acres? #7  
Handle bars and don't buy junk (box store units are generally entry level machines). Step up to a decent size deck for your acreage (54"-61") and get a machine with serviceable hydraulics as mentioned. Try to find something with a commercial canister type air cleaner as well. The more filter media the less it has to work. Cutting grass is part of the upkeep that I am into. The dishes and laundry on the other hand....I would farm that out!!! Good luck in your decision.

/ Zero Turn for 4 acres? #8  
like everyone is saying - get the largest deck you can - it cuts down the amount a "trips" and time to mow. i would say 42 is too small. i went from 38 riding mower almost 3.5 hours of mowing to 60 inch bx kubota to 1 hour. plus the bx does many other things - just a like a real farm tractor does. plowing snow, moving wood, front loader work, tilling, etc.
a zero turn just... mows. some like a real manicured look so a zero turn works.

/ Zero Turn for 4 acres? #9  
61" mower deck is about right for 4 acres.

Use mulch and/or roundup around your trees, fences, etc and never worry about running a string trimmer again. I havent ran one in probably 8 years. If my 61" mower cant mow it....I spray it

/ Zero Turn for 4 acres? #10  
61" mower deck is about right for 4 acres.

Use mulch and/or roundup around your trees, fences, etc and never worry about running a string trimmer again. I havent ran one in probably 8 years. If my 61" mower cant mow it....I spray it
I agree with your concept of reducing trimming but roundup an most herbicides are not recomended under trees. It can kill them.

I would recomend concrete edgers that can be mowed up to with no need to trim around. An L shaped design that the mower deck can ride over. Sure thats a while lot of work and expense once but better than all that trimming.

Also agree with zero turn with a 5ft deck will cut down that mowing time 40-60%. Another thing to consider to reduce mowing time is to reduce yard space with low maintenance flower/rock gardens with that same trimmer free edging. Use good thick plastic and river rocks the planters with some low maintenance spillover vines and boom, landscape thats no weeding or mowing or trimming.

Good luck.