Grass seed question

/ Grass seed question #1  

V65ozzie

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson
I have a couple areas at my place that grass just will not grow, it tries, but the combinations of shade, trees, rain, runoff and whatever mother nature throws at it just eventually kills it off. I want some grass there, I don't really care what kind. I've seeded with fescue, zoysa, and sodded with caterpillar, it all dies eventually.
I found some stuff locally, they call it pasture grass, apparently it's what the state uses along the highways, and I'm fine with that, and, it's cheap. What sayeth the huddled masses?

/ Grass seed question #2  
My theory on places where grass doesn't want to grow is to cover with plastic, add edging, put down river rock. Rock gardens always grow if you know what i mean.

How large are the areas? Is it that other stuff grows just not grass? Grass can be terribly hard to get established. It takes a lot of water. A local variety that is drought resistant may still take some establishing but cant hurt to try if its cheap.

/ Grass seed question #3  
Do a soil test. They are cheap and they will tell you what amendments are needed for the "crop" you want to grow.

/ Grass seed question
Do a soil test. They are cheap and they will tell you what amendments are needed for the "crop" you want to grow.

you know, I think I have a test kit in the barn somewhere....

/ Grass seed question #5  
Yea, do a soil test.

The issue may not be shade/sun or water/lack of related. The soil may just not have the nutrients, or correct phone for things to grow.

/ Grass seed question
My theory on places where grass doesn't want to grow is to cover with plastic, add edging, put down river rock. Rock gardens always grow if you know what i mean.

How large are the areas? Is it that other stuff grows just not grass? Grass can be terribly hard to get established. It takes a lot of water. A local variety that is drought resistant may still take some establishing but cant hurt to try if its cheap.

It's a heavily shaded 50x50 area in front of the house, it also catches a lot of roof runoff when it rains. Weeds don't seem to have an issue there. Then I have a spot alongside my barn, it was always overgrown with weeds, and over the years the rain pushed the soil level up to a point that the ground was higher than the barn floor, resulting in a steady river running through the barn. I excavated a slope to get the ground level lower than the floor, since then, even the weeds have a hard time. I have noticed that the centipede grass is trying to creep in, but there is a constant stream of vehicles along the strip that separates the centipede from the area, so it can't really get in there. Story of my life and grass, grows great where I don't want it, doesn't grow where I do.
Planning on selling the place in a couple of years, so I'd love to have some nice established areas to pretty things up.

/ Grass seed question #7  
Pastures are FULL SUN areas. It would surprise me if "pasture grass" will survive in your shade.

Have you had your soil tested to ascertain whether soil pH and nutrients are optimal in your marginal area?

Last edited:
   / Grass seed question #8  
You are lacking good soil to seed contact and the grass can't get a start. Try roughing up the ground an inch or so and not just scuffing it. Rake it in if you can. This is what is lacking. After the seed is put down add a thin layer of straw if you have it. A quarter inch of it is good and less is better. Grass will grow this way if you sort-of water it or it rains. The straw will hold in the moisture and don't worry if you don't have straw.

The reason grass wont start is poor seed to soil contact. I put down lots of seed a year and 90% of the effort is getting the soil ready. Just tossing seed on hard ground will gradually work but take a number of years.

Once it starts, a little "balanced" fertilizer like 10-10-10 or 19-19-19 will help. Do not put on in dry weather and only put on just before a rain so you don't chemically burn the grass.

edit--for shady areas you need seed that will grow in lower sunlight conditions. Research it for more.

/ Grass seed question #9  
With only 2500 sq ft to cover I'd go with shade tolerant sod instead of seed so that rain doesn't wash it away before roots have established. As others have said,soil test then amend soil. You might also need additional organic content.

/ Grass seed question #10  
centipede grass will not grow in shade or poor soil. Why not ask local landscaper or nursery. You may find some other type of ground cover better option such as ivy.