Official - What is this tree/plant/weed/etc thread.

/ Official - What is this tree/plant/weed/etc thread. #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I've seen this thread started several times looking for a specific plant. I've tried to hunt through them to see whether any covered the tree about which I am to ask. Nothing does. So I thought perhaps it would be good to have an 'Official' ie all in this thread, thread for this oft asked question.

I was driving home over the weekend and saw a brightly colored yellow, orange, deep red tree along the Interstate. I had to drive about 8 miles to the next exit in order to turn around and get back to it. I'd like to know what type of tree it is. They are all along the roadside (I believe) but being that I am from Colorado and newly to KY, I don't know the trees very well.

Here are a few pics of the tree and leaves up close. I'm sure it is so common that it will be difficult to believe I don't know it... but I don't. Since I am planting trees on my place, I'd like to see whether I can find good examples of this tree for its fall color. I suspect the vivid variance of this tree is more of a situational/genetic variance rather than a species trait, but I won't know until I ask.

It had relatively dense, small branches emenating directly from a central trunk (for the most part) with intensely colored leaves. They were yellow, orange towards the inside with the last 2-3ft of the branches sporting a deep red. This was on the same branch.

Leaves were generally a rounded leaf shape with very small bumps along the edge. It was less of a serration and more of a pebbling/bump.

They are all over, but most don't have this intensity of coloring. They are not maple or Oak... or at least the leaves have nothing in common with the ones I know about. There were no seeds that I could see nor anything on the ground denoting a seed of any sort. I know the exit and marked the tree with duct tape on a couple limbs so I will be able to keep track of it as I drive by every week. I'd like to get some seeds from it, if that is how it propagates.

SORRY, I can't get the TBN site to not rotate some pictures back to upright. No matter what I do, they initially download normally but the Forum Page rotates them 90deg.

IMG_5202 (1).JPGIMG_5193.JPGIMG_5200.JPGIMG_5197.JPGIMG_5201 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5193.JPG
    IMG_5193.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_5197.JPG
    IMG_5197.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 197
   / Official - What is this tree/plant/weed/etc thread. #2  
I'm guessing its some kind of pear tree.

Here's a fun link to play around with to identify trees by leaves.

Identify by Leaf

/ Official - What is this tree/plant/weed/etc thread. #3  
There are many varieties of poplar trees. It may be one of them.

/ Official - What is this tree/plant/weed/etc thread. #4  
I'll bet if you go back and look at it in the spring it will be covered in white blossoms, and it looks like maybe a bradford pear. Although, ours up here is still pretty green. It tends to keep its leaves the longest in the fall as compared to the other trees around it.

/ Official - What is this tree/plant/weed/etc thread.
I'll bet if you go back and look at it in the spring it will be covered in white blossoms, and it looks like maybe a bradford pear. Although, ours up here is still pretty green. It tends to keep its leaves the longest in the fall as compared to the other trees around it.

I think you are correct. I looked up Bradford Pear leaves, and they look exactly like the leaves I pulled from the tree.

Its too bad. That tree is beautiful, but I don't want Bradford Pears on my place. Thanks for the help.

bradford pear leaf.jpg

/ Official - What is this tree/plant/weed/etc thread.
   / Official - What is this tree/plant/weed/etc thread. #8  
We could change the title to un-official.... or we could just leaf it alone............

/ Official - What is this tree/plant/weed/etc thread. #9  
It may be a Bradford Pear, but it seems like an awfully large specimen if that's what it is. Usually they split before they get this big. Can you post a picture of the bark? FWIW Reddit is amazing at ID'ing trees and plants. Usually get a definitive answer in less than an hour.

/ Official - What is this tree/plant/weed/etc thread. #10  
I've got a bradford pear in my yard that's split numerous times and its still around 40' tall and 40' spread, and its been trimmed multiple times. I've been reading that its not such a good tree to have around as it cross pollinates with a lot of desirable trees and makes their fruit bad.