Gardens/plots for 2018

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #11  
We eat potatoes all winter and the left over ones with their eyes go back into the ground for the next crop. We've done that the last few years - red pontiacs, red norlunds, and russet. The pontiacs are my favorite! The last frost used to be in June, but lately it is early May.

We eat on ours all winter too. Here is how I store mine in the root cellar, on some home made screen racks. The small ones in the sacks on the wall are next year's seed. We raise white Kennebec and yellow Yukon Gold.

enhance

enhance

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #12  
We eat on ours all winter too. Here is how I store mine in the root cellar, on some home made screen racks. The small ones in the sacks on the wall are next year's seed. We raise white Kennebec and yellow Yukon Gold.

enhance

enhance

Those are some nice looking potatoes!

/ Gardens/plots for 2018
Nice racks too!!! We use some "harvest boxes" that I made. They seam to work ok

for us.--Made them from 1/2" thick wood, spaced the slats an inch apart for air movement and made them 24" x 15" x 15" (or so) and the spuds do well in them all winter in the basement, (45 to 55 degrees)
We can and freeze a lot too.--Really have good luck wit both methods. --Freezing is probably the quickes't way.
Just had a quart of home canned tomato juice, from the basement and it's gooood!!!IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1092.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

More corn pix for corn lovers!!!! LOL!!!! thanks; sonny

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #14  
Me thinks that Sonny and Andy are going to lead the pack in the Gardening forum. Those are healthy looking crops.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #15  
Good looking corn there Sonny !

/ Gardens/plots for 2018
2017 Sweet Potato Digger.JPG

2017 Sweet Potatoes 2.JPG

2017 Sweet Potatoes.JPG

More of the sweet potato harvest!
Didn't get any pix. of the pumpkin and squash or tomato harvest from last year!

We now have 1 case of onion plants, ( bout 5,500 plants total) and 500 sweet potato plants on order for 2018!--Still working on seed order.
Will try to start another 2 or 5 hundred sweet potato plants from our saved varieties.

Would like to get the transplanter attachment made for the creeper! ---- LOTS to do and weather now still 0 and and minus 0 degrees, so outside work is very limited for me due to health problems, (and probably age!!) Thanks; sonny580

/ Gardens/plots for 2018
Seed orders are coming and saved seed is being tested for germination at this time.--seed flats will be started last of Feb. or first of March.
Anybody getting things in order yet??? LOL!!! thanks; sonny

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #18  
I spread (sorta) 30 yards of manure on the garden plot today. Ground was pretty wet - too wet, really - and too soft but at least it was a start. Thankfully, I managed to not get the tractor stuck. We just bought the place last year and found that the garden was very heavy clay so it's going to take a lot of work and amendments to make it useable.

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #19  
Zippo1,

New 1/4 ac garden space we cleared below the house in 2007.....LOT of clay in it as well.

enhance

Same space few years later. I've added three 20 ton loads of sand and 3-4 tandem loads of chicken manure to it, and it could still use more sand. Clay takes a lot to build up.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #20  
Thanks. I've heard that one has to be careful with sand - that it can turn clay into something similar to concrete. We needed a temporary place to hold some small trees so I augered some holes around the edge of the plot. When I looked into one of the holes the sides looked like a smooth clay pot that had been fired in a kiln!