Gardens/plots for 2018

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #1  

Sonny580

Platinum Member
Tractor
several kinds and sizes
Anyone thinking about the ole gardens for 2018??? Join in here and post your ideas on equipment, varieties, etc.
What do you usually plant, how much, etc. Thanks; sonny580

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #2  
Ordered some of the seeds for planting from Johnny's on Tuesday got my order on Friday. Only 3 more orders to place. Start transplants in March.

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #3  
I like potatoes and I used to be out every day killing potato bugs. I don't like pesticides and the organic type don't work well. This year I tried potatoes under row covers. The wind caught them but that was due to not using enough dirt to hold them down. They do work. I would get potato bugs landing on the covers trying to get in.
I think this will be a better year. The covers and the hoops come from Johnny seed. We use bio degradable plastic to hold down the weeds.
Here is a pic from last summer. Row covers.jpg

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #4  
Last chance of frost at this elevation is usually 5/1...there is no rush for cold sensitive plants...by the time I'm ready to plant them my early peas, lettuce and spinach will be about done for the most part...

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #5  
How do like the degradable mulch? I used for a couple of years and I am not impressed it doesn't break down and tears very easy. I went back to using the 1 mil plastic mulch.

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #6  
For this part of the country, I plant potatoes on or about Saint Patrick's day....around March 17th. It reminds me of why us sorry Irishmen came over here and how desperate they must of been. Anyway, that beetle is not a problem here and my Irish Cobblers love my TLC with just a hoe.008.JPG

Then there is all the other optional early crops as mentioned by /pine...peas, lettuce, spinach, radish etc. Then, after the last frost, (sometime after May 1st) is when the corn, pepper plants, tomato plants, cantaloupe, watermelon, cuke, okra seeds go in.
012.JPG023.JPG013.JPG009.JPG531.JPG529.JPG

Did I mention Swiss Chard, beets, carrots....herbs ....:licking:

Good Wishes for your garden,
Mike

Last edited:
   / Gardens/plots for 2018
In this area we have found that any mulch or ground cover only invites mice/voles/snails/etc., and makes ground slimy and hard!---Wish it would work because it does have a big benifit for the ground.

IMG_1067.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1122.JPG

Here are a few pix. of some of our 2017 garden harvest. thanks; sonny580

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #8  
Well Sonny........you aren't a beginner. I love that Honey Cross corn variety.

My garden fever is up right now, but as I age, that fever diminishes. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Mike

/ Gardens/plots for 2018 #9  
   / Gardens/plots for 2018 #10  
This is the one I use... organic rated and works GOOD. I use a backpack sprayer couple times during the season and ended my potato beetle problem.

Colorado Potato Beetle Beater Concentrate - 1 Pint [62719-314-4/687] - $17.95 : Keystone Pest Solutions, Low price herbicides and pesticides

Colorado_Potato_Beetle_Beater.gif

I'll have to try this out in some other locations! We always have some potatoes we just stick in the grounds where we have a hole and just leave them. They can be our potato test plots!

re the weeds, We tried thick hay mulch and that encouraged the snails and slugs. They hate hot bio mulch. I have to find a way to use the tractor to flip the dirt onto the edges!

We eat potatoes all winter and the left over ones with their eyes go back into the ground for the next crop. We've done that the last few years - red pontiacs, red norlunds, and russet. The pontiacs are my favorite! The last frost used to be in June, but lately it is early May.

Last edited: