Choosing a new mower

/ Choosing a new mower #1  

aarolar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800
I'm in the market for a new zero turn this coming year and I have it narrowed down between a Hustler and Kubota dealers based on how I've been treated so far. I have an excellent relationship with my Kubota dealer and the Hustler guys are small mom and pop place who give me the warm fuzzies. Right now I'm looking at the Fastrac on the Hustler end, and the new Kubota Z400 series. Important to me in this order

1) Comfort, I have a rough yard and my current mower gives me back pains.

2) Ability to handle bahia grass and rougher conditions, tons of bahia and semi finished areas around my estate. Mini orchard and around the sawmill.

3) Reliability, yep this got pushed to third

I hate Bahia and I know cutting it often will help but I just can't mow twice a week during the peak season and that crap will grow a foot in 5 days easy. We don't care much about a manicured lawn we drive tje truck and tractor across the front yard all winter moving firewood to the porch.

/ Choosing a new mower #2  
Kubota offer nice diesel zero turn tad more $$$'s,but if getting " guys are small mom and pop place who give me the warm fuzzies. Right now" guess you should consider your gut feelings.

/ Choosing a new mower
Kubota offer nice diesel zero turn tad more $$$'s,but if getting " guys are small mom and pop place who give me the warm fuzzies. Right now" guess you should consider your gut feelings.
Too much money for diesel and they weigh too much IMO.

I should mention the bota dealer is mom and pop as well.

/ Choosing a new mower #4  
Given your requirements and mowing needs just make sure that you get plenty of motor for the deck size. I bought a Hustler MiniZ and it had a 19hp Kaw powering a 52" deck and it was way underpowered IMO.

I now have a Gravely I think it is 25hp kaw running a 60 inch deck and I could mow a hay field with that thing.

Of the two models you mentioned I think you would be happy with either. Just get the biggest motor they offer for the deck size you decide on.

I also think that a deep deck makes a big difference in handling tall grass. My Mini Z had a shallow deck and my Gravely has a very deep deck.

Last edited:
   / Choosing a new mower
Given your requirements and mowing needs just make sure that you get plenty of motor for the deck size. I bought a Hustler MiniZ and it had a 19hp Kaw powering a 52" deck and it was way underpowered IMO.

I now have a Gravely I think it is 25hp kaw running a 60 inch deck and I could mow a hay field with that thing.

Of the two models you mentioned I think you would be happy with either. Just get the biggest motor they offer for the deck size you decide on.
Yes that was already my plan I'm way undersized now I don't want that again.

/ Choosing a new mower #6  
If comfort is your thing, you need to look at and test ride Ferris (coil over suspension) or Bad Boy-Maverick or OutlawXP 54", 61" and 72" (compression suspension)

/ Choosing a new mower
If comfort is your thing, you need to look at and test ride Ferris (coil over suspension) or Bad Boy-Maverick or OutlawXP 54", 61" and 72" (compression suspension)
I am really interested in Ferris but absolutely no dealer support around me.

/ Choosing a new mower #8  
Something else you may consider is installing a small air bag under the seat, I did this and it made a world of difference (air bag deflated is about 1" tall)
I know dealer support means a lot to some folks, not so much for me. If I ever had an issue,(which is a rare thing) just contacted the dealer and they normally send parts, if you're really interested in Ferris this may be a way to go.
Also you may have a mower shop near by that might be an authorized repair shop for Ferris.
I test rode many different brands looking for a smooth riding mower that wasn't a full fledged commercial mower. Ferris and Bag Boy were the only mowers that meant my requirements. Both offer a mower that was considered high end residential/lower end commercial with suspension and in my price range ($6000-$8000) plus several other things, ended up with the Bad Boy 54" Maverick for $6000 out the door.

/ Choosing a new mower
Something else you may consider is installing a small air bag under the seat, I did this and it made a world of difference (air bag deflated is about 1" tall)
I know dealer support means a lot to some folks, not so much for me. If I ever had an issue,(which is a rare thing) just contacted the dealer and they normally send parts, if you're really interested in Ferris this may be a way to go.
Also you may have a mower shop near by that might be an authorized repair shop for Ferris.
I test rode many different brands looking for a smooth riding mower that wasn't a full fledged commercial mower. Ferris and Bag Boy were the only mowers that meant my requirements. Both offer a mower that was considered high end residential/lower end commercial with suspension and in my price range ($6000-$8000) plus several other things, ended up with the Bad Boy 54" Maverick for $6000 out the door.
My dealer thing is being able to get belts, blades, spindle parts at a whim and not having to order everything, ordering stuff is one of my pet peeves.

/ Choosing a new mower #10  
I have a Kubota Z125S with 54 inch deck. Works great, and it is comfortable as well as fast. Initially it kept throwing deck belts but the dealer and Kubota rep went to work right away on slight redesign and its fine since.