Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40A

Default Raised Bed Question

I was planning on building some 4 foot by 8 foot by 12 inch tall raised beds in our greenhouse but my wife is questioning whether or not 12 inches is deep enough for tomatoes and other basic veggies. Any thoughts?

Tractor
    Gravely ZT HD 60, MF GC2400

Default Re: Raised Bed Question

12 inches will be fine for most things depends on what you are growing I would go 24". Corn will need more that that to do well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raised Bed Question-depth-jpg  
    Always just speak the truth; it has a way of keeping dishonest and small people away.

Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds operating weight

Cultivate the ground which will be under the raised beds 6" or more deep, before enclosing the ground. Mix in compost if you have it. That will give you 18" for the plant roots.

That basement zone will remain soft within a greenhouse without vehicles running over it and sunlight baking it for multiple years ~~~ forever if you practice organic growing.

I am a native of Seattle. I hope your near-Bellingham soil is as friable and dark as the soil above Lake Washington.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raised Bed Question-dsc00678-jpg   Raised Bed Question-dsc00349-jpg   Raised Bed Question-dsc00382-jpg  

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9366 View Post
    Cultivate the ground which will be under the raised beds 6" or more deep, before enclosing the ground. Mix in compost if you have it. That will give you 18" for the plant roots.

That basement zone will remain soft within a greenhouse without vehicles running over it and sunlight baking it for multiple years ~~~ forever if you practice organic growing.

I am a native of Seattle. I hope your near-Bellingham soil is as friable and dark as the soil above Lake Washington.
    I guess I assumed since he said it is a greenhouse he meant with a floor. But if it is a dirt floor, I agree with what Jeff says here.
    Always just speak the truth; it has a way of keeping dishonest and small people away.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 3520

Its a whole lot more work, but next time I make raised beds, I'm making them waist height so I can garden on my feet. I made one for the local Nursing Home before it went out of business and it worked great for folks in wheelchairs even. I only did 11" and it did well on everything up to tomatoes.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar LX410 IHI 35J excavator Woodmizer LT40

Quote Originally Posted by brown40 View Post
    Its a whole lot more work, but next time I make raised beds, I'm making them waist height so I can garden on my feet.
    Yep...that IS the way to go. We built a 20x36 hoophouse and raised the beds to right at waist height and it is great !

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by TnAndy View Post
    Yep...that IS the way to go. We built a 20x36 hoophouse and raised the beds to right at waist height and it is great !

Now thats a greenhouse .... very nice. when do you plant this?

Tractor
    Kubota M6040

When we had a garden - eventually I had two raised beds. The major reason, at the time, easier on the 'ol back to weed, good way to contain the soil amendments & elevated soil temps. The other advantage came the day my neighbor visited all this work going on and said.

"Don't you have problems with gophers?" Of course, I do. "Well, then - lay down one layer of fine gauge wire mesh on top of the original ground before you assemble the side boards and fill the area with soil". Hmmm - never occurred to me, but easy solution to perennial problem.
    "isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC45D

Ditto on the waist high raised beds. Most labor saving project yet however each bed requires 2 yards of soil so with out a front end loader they problly would’en Have happened.
    B. John

Tractor
    JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R

My raised beds are 2 two by sixes high: 11 inches. Plenty high for tomatoes. They're on top of soil. Unless you're putting them on top of concrete, 12 inches is plenty tall. If on top of concrete, they probably have to be about 4 foot tall.

Ralph
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast