Mowing 4x 1/4 acre lots

/ Mowing 4x 1/4 acre lots #1  

Michael Aos

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2370-1 RTV500
I could add a Mid Mount Mower (MMM) to my Kubota BX2370, but I suspect there's a better option.

I've been using a 21” Honda HRX217HYA (Self-propelled, hydrostatic Cruise Control), which is working fine, but I think I'd like something that doesn't involve quite so much walking.

I've never used one, but I was thinking maybe a stand-on mower is where I should be looking.

Any suggestions?
--

Last edited:
   / Mowing 4x 1/4 acre lots #2  
I would have a mower on the bx, if it don't already have one!---A stand on is gonna kill the ole back, where as walking keeps things moving! thanks; sonny580

/ Mowing 4x 1/4 acre lots #3  
I don’t think the stand up mowers would be that rough. You’ve got your knees working in your favor that way. Sitting down your body has zero give. The stand up mowers I’ve looked at had shock absorbers on the platform. The biggest problem I see is the stand up mowers I’ve seen are all real commercial grade mowers and expensive. It doesn’t sound like you’re mowing much grass and a upper end homeowner grade mower will be fine. I don’t recommend a low end homeowner lawnmower ever if you’re only cutting a thousand square feet of grass.

/ Mowing 4x 1/4 acre lots #4  
More details? Are you hiring out as a pro? Are these all next to each other? Houses? Trees? Hills? How often? Bermuda grass? Real nice lawns?

/ Mowing 4x 1/4 acre lots
Not commercial.

They are all within a few hundred yards of each other.

Yes, each ~1/4 acre lot has a small house. Front and backyard.

Not particularly nice lawns.

More details? Are you hiring out as a pro? Are these all next to each other? Houses? Trees? Hills? How often? Bermuda grass? Real nice lawns?

/ Mowing 4x 1/4 acre lots #6  
Get the price of a mid mount mower deck for your Kubota, but don't forget about a rear mount finish mower. You can back into corners with a rear mount, you can't with a mid mount. I live on 1 acre of grass. I have a 60" finish mower on the front of my PowerTrac PT425. So I can get into corners quit well, leaving only about a 10" arc at the very corner that's easily trimmed with a weed eater. You can also back under trees and landscaping with a rear mount (like my front mount), and you can't do that with a mid mount deck. Now if you're thinking about bagging the grass clippings, you might want to consider the mid mount.

However, with all that said, price the mower decks for the Kubota, then price a riding lawnmower. My guess is you can get a riding mower for less than a Kubota deck, get into more tight spaces, etc... its easier to transport if you need to. If fits through gates, etc... it's one more motor to maintain, but it may be faster in small yards. Price things out and see what you find.

/ Mowing 4x 1/4 acre lots #7  
I bet the deck is 3 grand. And you’d have to take the loader off to effectively mow that size yard. I usually recommend finish mowers over belly mowers, but 1/4 acre yards don’t sound like finish mower material. The 3k on a mower deck would buy a decent ZTR. Any mower wouldn’t take long to mow that size yard, but percentage wise the time savings would still be a lot. It usually takes me 20-30 minuets to mow and weed eat an average yard. Average yards here are probably 1/2 acre lots.

/ Mowing 4x 1/4 acre lots #8  
Unless the ground is exceptionally rough I would get a small consumer type zero turn mower. It will probably be cheaper than the mid mount for your Kubota, immensely more maneuverable, faster, and not track up the yard if the ground is wet. It would cut your weed eating down to nothing.

For tractor work get a tractor, for mowing grass get a machine designed to mow grass.

RSKY

/ Mowing 4x 1/4 acre lots #9  
Unless the ground is exceptionally rough I would get a small consumer type zero turn mower. It will probably be cheaper than the mid mount for your Kubota, immensely more maneuverable, faster, and not track up the yard if the ground is wet. It would cut your weed eating down to nothing.

For tractor work get a tractor, for mowing grass get a machine designed to mow grass.

RSKY

You can’t beat a machine designed for the task at hand. That doesn’t just apply to mowers.

/ Mowing 4x 1/4 acre lots
Yeah, I never seriously considered the MMM when I bought the BX2370.

The 21" 4mph self-propelled Honda mower works well for my little yard. I've been walking it onto a HF 500lb Capacity Aluminum Mobility Wheelchair and Scooter Carrier behind my RTV500 and running it 1/4 mile down to the other 2 yards and now another 1/4 mile down to my mother-in-laws.

I was thinking something wider, that I could stand-on or sit-on would be more pleasant, but I probably don't want / need more than a 36" width.