Kohler 25HP vs 27HP

/ Kohler 25HP vs 27HP #1  

MarkLeininger

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 2710
I'm buying a new Craftsman garden tractor. There are quite a few choices on sale. I'm looking at:

GT5000 25HP Kohler V twin
DGT4000 27HP Kohler V twin
DGT6000 27HP Kohler V twin

Any known problems to stay away from on any of these models or engines? I'm guessing the DGT4000 is a closeout on last year's model. I pull a 60" trailmower to mow 5 acres of pasture and an acre around the house with the old 18HP model I have now but it's so old something is breaking every month or so. I'd like to pull two 60" trailmowers. If anyone has done that with this sized mower let me know of any problems with power. I'm on dead level flat boring Illinois ground.

/ Kohler 25HP vs 27HP #2  
i"ve got the 25, about 125 hrs now.

No problems, plenty of power for the 48" deck.

Down side..I would guess about 1.5 gallons per hour.

/ Kohler 25HP vs 27HP #3  
I think both motors are fine and a craftsman is pretty much a craftsman in the Garden models. Though if I were pulling such a load I would not get a hydrostat model. 2 60" trailmowers might be too much for the hydro tranny.

Slam

/ Kohler 25HP vs 27HP #4  
I'd have to agree with Slam on the hydrostatic drive, it may not be up to the task. You should find out what make and model the transaxle is and find out what the towing capacity is for that unit. Most of these units are not built to take extended periods of heavy use. They can't handle too much heat and just are not built heavy enough for all the extra weight. I had to rebuild my Dad's Simplicity Broadmore's transaxle because he was always hauling around a heavy untility trailer and basically burned it up. His old gear Murry handled it just fine so he was disapointed. You really have to be sure to match up your needs with the correct tractor.

/ Kohler 25HP vs 27HP #5  
I'm new here and certainly no expert on much of anything. I have had the 27 HP for about 6 or 7 years and have had no major problems until today. It kept dying on me when I tried to release the breaks. Still looking into the problem. I have been very satisfied so far, however.
All I have done is change oil, new belt & blades, replace plugs and filters and a new fuel pump (mostly because of the extremely dusty conditions in which I use it).

/ Kohler 25HP vs 27HP #6  
you've had it for 6 or 7 years which means you still bought it 1 or 2 years after this question was asked. I am thinking he made up his mind by now.

/ Kohler 25HP vs 27HP #7  
Yes, I imagine so. As I said, I am new here and did not see the date of the original post. You'd think a post that old would somehow be taken down so people wouldn't make that mistake. But I guess you can see that I'm pretty dumb. Thanks for pointing that out.

/ Kohler 25HP vs 27HP #8  
Welcome to the forum, mojo. Don't sweat the small stuff, responding to old threads happens all the time on forums. :confused2:

I've had a 25 hp Kohler Courage on a Dixie Chopper for a couple years, so far it runs great. :)

- djb

/ Kohler 25HP vs 27HP #9  
I was just trying to be funny man, don't take it personally. Welcome :laughing:

/ Kohler 25HP vs 27HP #10  
ii dont think it really not much difference in hp