Replacing my Murray! Need advice!

/ Replacing my Murray! Need advice! #1  

MFL

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Evening,

After three years of below average service, I think my Murray lawn tractor has finally given up the ghost! Better said, I don't want to spend any more money on this pig to bring it back from the dead!

I was playing around with getting a finishing mower for the B7800, but decided this would be overkill. Also, I've got a pile of yard-size attachments that would be obsolete if I don't replace the lawn tractor. So I think I'll replace the lawn tractor with something that can offer me a little bit better dependability (or any for that matter!). I was set on an 18.5hp Husqvarna with a 42" deck and hydro tranny, until the last time I went to TSC. They sell a Huskee Supreme 23hp with a 46" deck and hydro for about $350 less than the smaller Husqvarna.

Husqvarna quality speaks for itself (I have their chainsaws), but I don't know anything about the Huskee brand at TSC. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Does anyone have any experience with the TSC brand? I like the tractor, and the price is right, but I don't want to make another Murray mistake!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The engine is a B&S with a spin off oil filter, so that seems pretty high quality, but for all I know the rest of it could be a re-badged Murray!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I like the Huskee, and the price to features ratio is right, but I don't want to buy another lawn tractor in another three years! Help, should I go with the HUSKEE or stick with th"HUSKY"?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Replacing my Murray! Need advice! #2  
MFL:

not sure what the problem is with the murry but I love mine, it is a 46" 20 HP with a IC briggs with the spin on pressurized oil filter system. hit some stuff and damaged the blades a few times enough so to cause a blade mount problem as one got loose on me and wore the spindle, it is still working after re-tighting and such but the blade will not stay centered after wearing the mount out of around. my falut for not checking I guess.

anyhow no real advice on the huskys form tsc. my murry came form the old q farm&fleet durring the close out sales...

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Replacing my Murray! Need advice! #3  
My parents have a Husqvarna front end mower and I would never buy another one. We bought it new, and maintain it well, but it has had more than its share of problems which should of never happened.

Good luck with your search.

Yooper Dave

/ Replacing my Murray! Need advice! #4  
The Huskee that you are looking at... are you sure it's a hydro? I ask because many of the Huskees (made by MTD by the way) have an "automatic" transmission that is NOT a hydrostatic drive, but rather a reduction pulley/belt arrangement.

I have a 4 year old Craftsman, identical to the Husqvarna of the same vintage as both were/are made by AYP, with the 22 hp Kohler and 50" deck. It has a hydrostatic transmission and has been problem free.

I also have a 10 year old Murray with 14.5 IC briggs motor and 42" deck.

Good luck...

/ Replacing my Murray! Need advice! #5  
MTD makes the Huskee, as well as the White, Cub Cadet and a few others. I bought the Cub Cadet 1018 (also sold at TSC) because I liked
the foot operated hydro, the ELS engine, and the composite hood (no
rust or dents and its quieter). Its a nice unit for 1599.00. The Husqvarna is made by AYP, who also makes Craftsman and Poulan. Not bad, but I didn't like the hand-controlled hydro, the smaller look and feel,
the stamped hood, and the flexible floorboards. I'd compare the Huskee
and the Cub and make your choice at TSC. Earlier this spring they were throwing in a free gas trimmer.

/ Replacing my Murray! Need advice!
Spiker,

Mostly electrical problems. Two new coils, new starter, two dead batts., etc. Never had a problem with the engine. I really liked the thing at first, but it has become frustrating trying to keep it running. It's not left outside. I store it in a shed, and do the regular maintenance. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maybe I just got a lemon, but it's sure put a bad taste in my mouth for Murrays.

Zoomie,

I called back to TSC and spoke to a manager in reference to your question. They told me that Huskee makes both styles and they have both a hydro and and automatic as you explained.

I'll be heading over there tomorrow night to take a look for myself. Thanks.

Cadet,

Thanks!! Didn't realize that MTD made the Huskees, but that certainly helps. MY fam had a MTD mower when I was a kid and I remember it being a pretty dependable machine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Probably will just come down to luck anyway. With all the re-badging, multiple lines, and manufacturers, it's almost impossible to distinguish one brand from another as having any higher quality or dependability.

I looked at the cubs when I bought the Murray, but really wasn't considering it now. I'll take another look. Price is right and I also wouldn't mind a composite hood/body to ward off the rust. Does yours have the shaft drive or is it a belt?

/ Replacing my Murray! Need advice! #9  
MFL,

I have a belt drive model. The shaft drive units start at about
$2400, which was more than I cared to spend. Also the 1000 Series (belt drive) units have a tighter turning radius than the shaft drive models.

/ Replacing my Murray! Need advice! #10  
You have got'n some good info so far. I'm going to suggest something not mentioned yet. I was recently in a similar position. My 3 yr old MTD 22hp Koyler, 54in deck was falling apart. No way I was going to replace it with another POS. I started looking around and desided on a JD. I ended up with a 318 in good condition for $1500. It has a 18hp Onan engine, 48in deck, dual hydralics in front, hydralic deck height adjustment, and power stearing. This garden tractor at 20yrs old is better than my MTD when new. Some other JDs to look at 322 (same as 318 with 3 cyl gas yanmar engine), 332 (same as 318 with 3 cyl yanmar diesel engine), 345 modern version with a kawasaki engine. I can list more if you like but I think you owe it to yourself to look. If you still deside to buy an MTD you will at least be going in fully informed.