50 to 1 mix for ALL small engines... 2-stroke and 4-stroke?

/ 50 to 1 mix for ALL small engines... 2-stroke and 4-stroke? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Ran into a guy that runs everything with Stihl 50 to 1 mix... which has a fuel stabilizer component.

He said it has eliminated problems with ethanol blends and equipment runs well, plus less fuel cans sitting around.

Uses it in his Honda Generator, Rototiller, Log Splitter, Honda Mower... etc... especially when he is putting it away.

I'm thinking as long as the engines don't have a Catalytic Converter it shouldn't hurt.

Any comments yea or neigh besides the added cost?

/ 50 to 1 mix for ALL small engines... 2-stroke and 4-stroke? #2  
I’ve done it in a pinch but I don’t think it’s an ideal solution. Some 2 stroke oil has fuel stabilizer, but if you’re doing this you’re probably using the much cheaper outboard motor oil that doesn’t have stabilizer.

/ 50 to 1 mix for ALL small engines... 2-stroke and 4-stroke?
I’ve done it in a pinch but I don’t think it’s an ideal solution. Some 2 stroke oil has fuel stabilizer, but if you’re doing this you’re probably using the much cheaper outboard motor oil that doesn’t have stabilizer.

He said he only uses the expensive Stihl brand oil bought in a multi-pack.

/ 50 to 1 mix for ALL small engines... 2-stroke and 4-stroke? #4  
I buy redmax brand oil for $10 for a pack of six 2 gallon mix bottles. The Stihl oil I’d guess cost double that. That’s pretty expensive fuel.

I buy redmax brand oil for $10 for a pack of six 2 gallon mix bottles. The Stihl oil I’d guess cost double that. That’s pretty expensive fuel.

Not cheap... but way less than paying the equivalent of almost $30 a gallon for ethanol free fuel at the saw shop or Home Depot.

I asked him why he started keeping only the mix on hand... he said he lost an good chainsaw because someone filled the tank with straight gasoline and no 2-stroke mix...

/ 50 to 1 mix for ALL small engines... 2-stroke and 4-stroke? #6  
I can still buy ethanol free gas. My Dixie chopper is pretty thirsty thirsty. Fuel is a substantial part of my yard cutting cost. $30 a gallon fuel is not an option and mixed fuel isn’t a practical one. My saw and backpack blower are pretty thirsty as well. I can’t imagine putting $30 a gallon fuel through them.

/ 50 to 1 mix for ALL small engines... 2-stroke and 4-stroke? #7  
With all the issues in modern gasoline, I wouldn't risk it. I've mixed up my Stihl fuel with my Echo fuel and knew it right away by how bad it ran. If you don't need oil in it to run it, there isn't any way that I would put it in there!!!

/ 50 to 1 mix for ALL small engines... 2-stroke and 4-stroke? #8  
Not cheap... but way less than paying the equivalent of almost $30 a gallon for ethanol free fuel at the saw shop or Home Depot.

Ethanol free regular is only 20 cents more a gallon here. Premium is maybe 75 cents more. For the relatively little bit of fuel they use, well worth it.

/ 50 to 1 mix for ALL small engines... 2-stroke and 4-stroke? #9  
Ethanol free regular is only 20 cents more a gallon here. Premium is maybe 75 cents or a buck more

That’s about the average here. Maybe a little more difference currently. Still way cheaper than the cost to mix it or canned fuel. I don’t understand why the canned fuel is that expensive. They sell canned food for a couple of dollars or less so the cans are cheap.

Ethanol free regular is only 20 cents more a gallon here. Premium is maybe 75 cents more. For the relatively little bit of fuel they use, well worth it.

The only place I have been able to drive up and buy it is in Washington State...

There is nothing in the SF Bay Area Metro... really nothing any regular person can get... maybe a pilot at the airport or I can buy 55 gallon drums of race fuel