Why Such a Difference?

/ Why Such a Difference? #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
Looking at Zero Turn mowers and tractors with the same width mowing deck.
The tractors were usually priced significantly lower and designed for several attachments that a zero turn would not handle.
Why such a price difference?

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ Why Such a Difference? #2  
What makes are you talking about? Commercial or homeowner stuff?

/ Why Such a Difference? #3  
Different parts. There's a whole range of quality, price differences in the parts they are assembled with.

/ Why Such a Difference? #4  
I think a lot has to do with the zero turn being the niche mower to have. I had one for a couple of years and sold it. Finish mower is what I use now and some minor trimming with an old lawn tractor.

/ Why Such a Difference? #5  
Probably not an apples to apples comparison. There aren’t very many commercial grade lawn tractors built. Comparing low end ZTRs to low end lawn tractors isn’t much difference in price.

/ Why Such a Difference?
I was comparing 54" Cub Cadets and 54" Husqvarna brands. The quality is most likely in the Prosumer range. Better than bottom of the barrel but not a true professional grade.

Regards,

Yooper Dave

/ Why Such a Difference? #7  
Pumps and wheel drive motors on the ZTR's are expensive. Your better brands are better built and easier to work on then the average MTD built lawn/garden tractor.

/ Why Such a Difference? #8  
There are different models within each of those you mentioned. For example the decks come in 3 varieties on the Husvarna...black, grey and orange. Black economy, grey-prosumer and orange professional. Different thickness, different design and different bearings. Engines will be different too....for example there are several versions of the Brigg and Stratton engine along with different HP. Economy is just a regular engine designed for certain hours usage and life span. Upper end B&S has cast iron sleeves for the pistons and better lube among other options for longer life and heavier duty usage.

/ Why Such a Difference? #9  
Even for the same low end mower, the zero turn will be higher because it has to have two hydraulic motors (one for each wheel) whereas the tractors only have one. The low end zero turns may only have one hydropump to supply the two wheel motors whereas the higher end Pro-series will have two independent systems with pump and motor for each wheel. All this extra parts costs money to make and install.

It is worth the extra dollars to get a Pro grade mower with at least 3400 series Hydro-gear (brand name) drives or the equivalent in other drive components by other manufacturers. Anything less in quality and performance will cost you down the line when they wear out prematurely at about 300 hours of use.

/ Why Such a Difference?
What would you recommend in a 54" to 61" ZTR as the best bang for the buck?
The yard is pretty flat - not rough or hilly.