john deer LT 118 series

/ john deer LT 118 series #31  
I don't know if you were replying to my message but I was comparing the Huskys to the JD's in my last post. The L series don't have adjustable steering but wear is built into them so in a few years they will work properly. The did this by messing with the toe in from the factory.

If I were Deere I would not have even entered the market of lower priced econo tractors (starting with the Sabre line in 1998 I believe) that have a life span of 5 years according to my supervisor. But I would take one over a Murray for parts support and dealer support. I talk to a lot of people that would not buy them because they are so cheap. A lot of people still run 316s and 318s in my area and they are still going strong and would not trade them for a new JD so they tell me.

/ john deer LT 118 series #32  
Well, the old Deere stuff was so over designed that it is nearly indestructable. I just bought a 1980's vintage Deere 210 on July 5th in very good condition for half of what a Walmart special sells for and 1/4 of a new Deere L110 costs. And I would not hesitate in using this tractor to plow or blow snow, or run a tiller. I'd like to buy new, but the stuff I like starts at $5000 and goes up quickly, in any color. (Cub, Deere, Ingersoll, Simplicity, Wheelhorse, etc.)

/ john deer LT 118 series #33  
Sweet. Great machines. We got my grandpa's 1975 JD 214. All original and runs good for being just about 30 years old. Hope the new stuff lasts that long. I know your new mower will last a lifetime. Tip: If the trans oil has not been changed, change it to normal Hy Gard. Mine was the original and very milky looking.

/ john deer LT 118 series #34  
Just a quick update - we purchased the L130 this weekend. We have a local dealer within a few miles and sort of got a deal when the manager wrote down the wrong price for it. My husband used it this weekend and it did fine - we have about an acre of not so good area - rough some weeds etc. We did consider the L118 and the dealer even had a used one with only 2 hours on it - supposedly previous owner said it was not large enough for what he needed to mow. Went with L130 for the engine, tire size, and yes the convenient discount. We do have a steep incline which we do not mow but must go up and down to get to the area which is to be mowed. The man at the dealer stated you could liquid fill the tires for more stability- what do you guys think?

/ john deer LT 118 series #35  
You can certainly do that will no ill effect. Detachable wheel weights might also be an option. BTW, I am glad you went with the 130, as far as the 100 series goes it's a good machine for your needs. Keep the maintenace up on it and you should be fine and dandy.

Slam

/ john deer LT 118 series #36  
I have a 1982 JD 216 mower to mow 3.5 acres in the summer and I use in the winter to power a 38inch blower. This machine has been abused so hard and yet is still runs like a top. In fact, I just noticed that the rear axle housing is cracked on the left side. Looks like it's been that way for close to the 2 years we've owned it. (It came with the house) Now i've put about 150 hours on this mower that way -- summer and winter. After taking off the part and looking at both it and the axle, it looks like all it needs is a good welder!

I guess what i'm saying is that you get what you pay for. I have the reciept from the original owner in 1982 which has the price at $2400. This includes the 46" deck -- which by the way is made of such thick steel that it is actually very difficult for me to lift by myself. These machines have quarter inch thick steel frames and cast iron trannys and axle housings.

The only models comparable to these now are in the GT 3xx series and up. If i were anyone looking to buy a mower for $2000, i'd go try to find an old JD 240 or other common mid eighties model. These tractors have lots of life in them and are built to take a beating!

Just my $0.02.

/ john deer LT 118 series #37  
they made around 2K LT118's this season as overflow for the greeneville plant any with serial number H or something instead of GX being the greeneville plant

/ john deer LT 118 series #38  
Most componets on the LT118 are same as u'll find on there premium line i remember seeing the G series and LT-LX transmissions and even the new X series there all based on simular construction and the same engineering group is responsable so if ones junk baby there bout all junk..