john deer LT 118 series

/ john deer LT 118 series #1  

slopeyjoe

I am condsidering buying the L 118 limited edition mower.

I have an acre of grass, some hills, a few trees, but i also want to either add a blade or thrower to remove snow. Also possible attachtments latter on, like a tiller.

Is this a good selection? Does anyone have any input on this particular model?

Thanks guys!

/ john deer LT 118 series #2  
I have an acre of grass, some hills, a few trees, but i also want to either add a blade or thrower to remove snow. Also possible attachtments latter on, like a tiller.

If you have to get the 100 series the 118 is a good choice. But if your really gonna work it in addition to mowing I would recommend at least stepping up one notch to the
LT series. At that point your getting a MUCH better machine.

Slam

/ john deer LT 118 series #3  
Hi...

A more robust Garden Tractor (Deere GT series) is needed to run a tiller... and better for any earth engagement work vs. a lawn tractor...

LT=Lawn Tractor=not for gardening work...

If a new garden tractor is out of your price range... perhaps consider a used one...

Dave...

/ john deer LT 118 series #4  
DUH!! I totally missed the tiller part...even after I quoted it! My parttimers is really setting in I guess! Thanks for correcting me. Errrr... If not for the tiller the LT would be fine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slam

/ john deer LT 118 series #5  
Hey!

I was looking into the JDs at Home Depot for a while when they first came out. But not anymore.

From what I was told from a friend who used to work at a John Deere dealership, STAY AWAY from the L100 SERIES. (I assume you are talking about the one that Home Depot sells.) The deck spindle/jackshaft bearings go out sooner than normal.
But if you do decide to go with one of the 100 series, I would buy from a JD dealer, rather than a big box store. But that is my opinion, along with other people that I have read about.

Hopefully not, but you may have warranty issues and I believe a GOOD dealer will help you out better in the long run before a big box store will. And, in years to come, you may decide to buy another mower from your dealer and probably get a discount. Home Depot won't do that. They probably won't even give you an old fashioned hand shake. They didn't with my Echo weed trimmer anyway.

GOOD LUCK! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Travis R

/ john deer LT 118 series #6  
Travis, let me say first that I agree with everything you wrote in the above post. But (and I say this in good humor) arent you the feller that we were just talking to about buying a murray or a Craftsman? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The L100 series, while not a real John Deere by any stretch of the imagination is still twice the mower a Craftsman is. Not to mention the Murray! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif No insult intended bud that just struck me as hilarious as I read it!

Slam

/ john deer LT 118 series #7  
Slammer,

I am the feller that has the Murray/Craftsman issue. I was hoping that you would have read my last post on MY board BEFORE you read my last post on THIS board. But as usual, my luck you didn't. I knew someone was going to come back on me about that (lol) /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!. I said I WOULD CHOOSE a MURRAY over the 100 SERIES John Deere. NOT A CRAFTSMAN over the 100 SERIES JD. I would take the John Deere over the Craftsman in THAT series, but not the Murray.

Slopeyjoe,

For the price, I have heard more bad things about the John Deere (100 Series) than I have about a much less expensive Murray. I am in no way saying that you should buy a Murray over the mower you are wanting to buy. I am just telling you what I would do. I think John Deeres are GREAT mowers. But not the 100 series.

If I wanted to spend as much as you do on a mower, I wouldn't buy a Murray OR the John Deere 100 series. I would still consider JD, but not the 100 series.

Have you considered Snapper, Cub Cadet, Toro Wheel Horse, etc.?

In good humor, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Travis

Another P.S........I LOVE THESE DISCUSSION BOARDS!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ john deer LT 118 series #8  
   / john deer LT 118 series #9  
Slammer,

After reading all of this about mowers and brands and prices, I have decided ole' boy that I am goin' to buy one of two things:

1. A goat and fence in the property!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
OR,
2. If the goat gets stubbern and don't want to eat, I'll get a spray bottle and a hell of a lot of ROUND-UP!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Travis R

/ john deer LT 118 series
So what I am hearing is the 100 series JD sucks. What else is there for less than $2000?