Need a "weed eater "

/ Need a "weed eater " #11  
Re: Need a \"weed eater \"

Bought a Stihl FS85R (loop handle) earlier this year. So far haven't been able to bog it down. It starts perfectly, seems to have plenty of power, and it handles all of Stihl's attachments. Seems a little thirsty compared to the older, low-end models I've used, but then I'm frequently pushing it through heavier weeds/brush the others wouldn't have cut. Very satisfied.

/ Need a "weed eater "

Thanks for all the suggestions ! Looks like I'll have a fun weekend shopping for a new weed eater . John

/ Need a "weed eater " #13  

Nixon I agree with Yellowsocks93. You can't go wrong with STIHL. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Need a "weed eater "

CAG , Thanks ! Stihl does make some pretty tough equipment . I've got an 044 that takes a real beating but never lets me down . But the wifes XP 346 is also one heck of a good piece of equipment . I also used some of the smaller Shidawa stuff for climbing . They're tough as nails . Just don't have the support network around here .
It looks like I'll get a stihl trimmer . I guess I owe it to myself to check out the Husqvarnas an Shindawas as well . John

/ Need a "weed eater " #15  

Sweet another STIHL dealer here! How have your sales been Slammer? Ours have been ok. I can't wait to get my new FS 250! It should be here tomorrow as they ship fast. I was going to get the FS 450 K but I can't afford the 750 dollar price tag!

/ Need a "weed eater " #16  

I'm probably 15 units down from last July but still brisk. I can't complain. (I can but it does no good!) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Slam

/ Need a "weed eater " #17  

We sell stihl, husqvarna, echo, shindaiwa and Red Max and I have a Red Max at my house if that tells you anything. I would look at the BCZ2400S. It is a great little trimmer.

/ Need a "weed eater " #18  

Choose Stihl or Echo, you cannot go wrong with either one.

/ Need a "weed eater " #19  

Stihl or Husky work great pretty consistently. I have an old Husky 225R with the bike handles. I run poly line and saw blades on it. For ten years it has worked very well. It is best for field work with the big handles on it.

We got a Stihl FS83 with the split shaft. It cuts really well. It is cool, because with the split shaft you can change out the tool attachments. We have the string trimmer head, a short pole chain saw, a hedge trimmer with angle adjustment, an edger, and a cultivator. The system works pretty well. We primarily use the string head, but quickly switch to the other tool heads as needed.

A buddy of mine has a Honda trimmer; that might be worth looking at. It is 4-stroke; no mixing gas and oil... He really likes it.

For your oil, if you use a 50:1 oil, mix it at 50:1. It is of no value to run a 50:1 oil at 32:1 when the oil was specifically formulated for optimum lubrication at 50:1.

It just does not work backwards... Never mix a 32:1 rated oil at a leaner ratio.

/ Need a "weed eater " #20  

RobertN, your FS83 has a red max motor on it. Stihl didn't have a trimmer to sell in Ca, so they used the Red Max technology. Your unit is the same motor as a BCZ2500s Red max. The distributors for Stihl didn't push it much out here (east coast) because they didn't need to. Now that the 4-stroke is out you will probably not see any more FS83's. You have a great trimmer and it will last you for a long time.