Need a "weed eater "

/ Need a "weed eater " #1  

NIXON

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3130 hst
Need a \"weed eater \"

I curently own a Ryobi weed eater . It was up to the task of "urban " trimming . In fact it's still fine for around the house .
But, I need something for getting at the woodier stuff .
What I'm looking for is something that is for moderate/heavy trimming yet still be covenient to use around the house . I'd like to stay with something that has a 50-1 mix as well . The Ryobi is 32-1 mix ,and I find it inconvenient to keep a separate mix just for it . Suggestions are more than welcome . But, please state the model # as well as make .
Thanks , John

/ Need a "weed eater " #2  
Re: Need a \"weed eater \"

I think I can help you here the Deere dealer I work for also sells STIHL brand. Very good. I own 3 now 2 are 10 years old. I just ordered a new one today the FS 250 with the largest Poly Cut. I love the Poly Cut for the thick grass and weeds. I use it to go arounf my 500 apple trees but my old STIHL FS 75 with poly cut would bod down in the thick stuff. My new brush cutterhas 2x the power of the old one.

It is a little pricy at like an MSRP of a little over 500 bucks. I got a big deal since we sell them.

Do you want bike or a loop handle? I like bike since it is easier to swing the cutter through the thick stuff.

I don't know how many CC's you Ryobi is now so I can't gauge the proper model for you but here are some good ones in the STIHL Pro Series:

FS 80: 25.4 cc
FS 85: 25.4 cc
FS 110: 31.4 cc (4 stroke)
FS 250: 40.2 cc

I love my FS 75 same horse as the FS 80 but it was getting a little underpowered for my needs.

The poly cut may be worth looking into. Instead of using string it uses poly blades that are replacable. They swing around on the head like the blades on a bush hog mower. They can chop thick grass well and it is my favorite to use. A metal blade is also an option but I like the poly cut more for chopping grass.

/ Need a "weed eater " #3  

For $500 I am going with the DR Trimmer. My Dad has one and it works GREAT!

/ Need a "weed eater " #4  

But on rough terrain the thing would get stuck and I can fly around under the trees with the trimmer. A push mower would not fit believe me. I have to crawl part way into the tree with the trimmer being careful not to hit branches with apples and trim around the tree not hitting it with the poly blades.

/ Need a "weed eater " #5  

Shindaiwa is real good, mine wont quit.

/ Need a "weed eater "

Yewllow socks .
I'd prefer the loop handle. The Ryobi hasn't got a lot of displacement . , It's one of those do all trimmers . You can buy different attachments for it .
As to the Poly blades ... I believe I'll try to stick to trimmer line . But either way , I'll check out rhe models you've stated .
Thanks , John

/ Need a "weed eater "

IHC . Thanks for the idea . But I want someting I can throw in the bucket of my tractor . Nonetheless , it is one pretty impressive machine ! John

/ Need a "weed eater " #8  

I have a Robin (Subaru) unit that works great and I use the poly-cut with it. I bought my mother-in-law an Echo trimmer that is very well made also.
Now that I have the DR Trimmer, the Robin rarely gets used, but it is a well-built machine.
Terry

/ Need a "weed eater " #9  

I have a Deere Bushmaster. It comes outta the box with a 'brush trimmer'. This is a 3 bladed affair, kinda like a mini-bushhog. Undo 3 bolts, and swap out the string head and you're ready to go. I'd say 1/2 - 3/4 inch stalks are about it's limit.

I also purchase a tiller for this device. Except for the weight of the tiller, this things has take a lot of abuse and the engine starts like a champ, all of the time.

/ Need a "weed eater " #10  

I would look at the Stihl FS80. It's big enough to take all the attachments you'll need but small enough to use as a regular weed whacker. Unless your going commercial or gonna be constantly cutting small trees it should do everything you need. I sell a ton of these units to homeowners. Heres a link.

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS80R.html