Running a mower at full throttle ?

/ Running a mower at full throttle ? #1  

NIXON

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3130 hst
My manual (and dealer ) say to run my rider at full throttle .
It (they ) say it's to aid in cooling . After running my mower for a few hours to get aquainted with it , it seems happier at about 80-90% throttle . ( less vibration and noise )
As long as I'm not loading the mower and engine , am I wrong to do this ? John

/ Running a mower at full throttle ? #2  
Hi Prez /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, When mowing it is suggested full throttle for several reasons. The fins on the flywheel is what blows the air across the engine. Faster it turns the more air that blows thus cooling the engine. Also the blades will be turning faster, which ultimately gives you a better cut, especially in thicker/higher grass. That said, running it at 80-90% if it isn't under undo load won't hurt it.

/ Running a mower at full throttle ? #3  
I have an MTD (SP) mower that has "no" throttle on it. You prime it, pull the starter cord, and she runs at full throttle all day long. G

/ Running a mower at full throttle ? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "no" throttle on it. You prime it, pull the starter cord, and she runs at full throttle all day long )</font>

I think quite a few walk behind mowers are that way. Our Tecumseh powered LawnBoy is.

/ Running a mower at full throttle ? #5  
That was new to me when I first saw it. Glad I bought it. G

/ Running a mower at full throttle ? #6  
I have always run my honda walkbehind mower at full throttle and have never had any problem. Would imagine the same would be said for a riding mower.

/ Running a mower at full throttle ?
Thanks for the responses ! At first glance running at full tilt seems a bit hard on the engine . But the fact that it's air cooled and benefits from the added air flow makes sense , John

/ Running a mower at full throttle ? #8  
Why do they do that? I always heard it was bad for an engine to shut it off at full throttle? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Running a mower at full throttle ? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( always heard it was bad for an engine to shut it off at full throttle )</font>

If an engine has a throttle, I always idle it down before shutting it off, and I've thought about that with this LawnBoy, but since there is no throttle, . . . , so far it hasn't seemed to hurt it. But it is something I've wondered about myself.

/ Running a mower at full throttle ? #10  
It may make less noise but full throttle is best.. the gov. will control engine load responses when u run lower than rated speed the cylinder head tends to heat up due to more dwell time at tdc increasing the pressure and heat concentration same princable as lugging a diesel engine to put it clearly actualy most mowers are rated at 90% of there max. throttle in many makes the rpm is about 3250-3350 the maxium factory rating for that engine is 3600.. same with diesel's some are rated at 2500 rpm for fire work etc.. and the same engine might be rated at 2100 rpm another application..