Default Gage Wheel question

I just bought my first riding mower. Or actually my wife bought one for me. I lusted in my heart for a nice $2000 John Deere , for my small half acre lot. But just purchasing a new home, it just wasnt a priority. She surprised me, and got me a nice inexpensive troy built pony. It does the job, but I am a big guy , and my lot has the occasional lump, my deck just scalps the **** ouuta the lawn. Is there anyway to add gage wheels. I have looked online and found wheels, but they seem to be replacement wheels and no assembly.

thanks in advance
    Walter

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Default Re: Gage Wheel question

Welcome to TBN, the best tractor site on the Internet...!!! As I keep all the local Lowe's ads near my PC, I was able to find a picture of the Troy-Bilt "Pony" in 45 seconds. Looked at the deck assembly on the picture to get ideas, and every deck I have seen with gage wheels has the mounts welded onto the deck....

Even your local Sears would have gage wheels to sell you, but mounts... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

As I have numerous metal shop tools and a welder, I would be capable of making my own mounts, but in your case I think paying a shop to make and weld the mounts on would be an expensive addition to your $999 tractor.

Tell me it's none of my darn business if you want, but if I were looking for a cheap solution, I'd work on the yard itself and smooth it off instead of being worried about the gage wheel addition. The best item I ever had for leveling a bumpy yard is a section of chain link fence, preferably a gate, with a double row of mesh. Pull it behind your tractor and as power permits, weight it down with concrete blocks.

Just my two cents worth.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    '53 Golden Jubilee and a NH TC33DA with 14LA loader

If you haven't already done so, raise the deck to the highest cutting level. This will not only help with scalping, it is also better on the grass itself [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Tractor
    KIOTI CK20 GEAR.

<font color="blue"> Tell me it's none of my darn business if you want, but if I were looking for a cheap solution, I'd work on the yard itself and smooth it off instead of being worried about the gage wheel addition. The best item I ever had for leveling a bumpy yard is a section of chain link fence, preferably a gate, with a double row of mesh. Pull it behind your tractor and as power permits, weight it down with concrete blocks. </font>

I have to agree with this. G