Gage Wheel question

/ Gage Wheel question #1  

eLkOoBa

I just bought my first riding mower. Or actually my wife bought one for me. I lusted in my heart for a nice $2000 John Deere , for my small half acre lot. But just purchasing a new home, it just wasnt a priority. She surprised me, and got me a nice inexpensive troy built pony. It does the job, but I am a big guy , and my lot has the occasional lump, my deck just scalps the hell ouuta the lawn. Is there anyway to add gage wheels. I have looked online and found wheels, but they seem to be replacement wheels and no assembly.

thanks in advance
Walter

/ Gage Wheel question #2  
Welcome to TBN, the best tractor site on the Internet...!!! As I keep all the local Lowe's ads near my PC, I was able to find a picture of the Troy-Bilt "Pony" in 45 seconds. Looked at the deck assembly on the picture to get ideas, and every deck I have seen with gage wheels has the mounts welded onto the deck....

Even your local Sears would have gage wheels to sell you, but mounts... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As I have numerous metal shop tools and a welder, I would be capable of making my own mounts, but in your case I think paying a shop to make and weld the mounts on would be an expensive addition to your $999 tractor.

Tell me it's none of my darn business if you want, but if I were looking for a cheap solution, I'd work on the yard itself and smooth it off instead of being worried about the gage wheel addition. The best item I ever had for leveling a bumpy yard is a section of chain link fence, preferably a gate, with a double row of mesh. Pull it behind your tractor and as power permits, weight it down with concrete blocks.

Just my two cents worth.

/ Gage Wheel question #3  
If you haven't already done so, raise the deck to the highest cutting level. This will not only help with scalping, it is also better on the grass itself /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

/ Gage Wheel question #4  
<font color="blue"> Tell me it's none of my darn business if you want, but if I were looking for a cheap solution, I'd work on the yard itself and smooth it off instead of being worried about the gage wheel addition. The best item I ever had for leveling a bumpy yard is a section of chain link fence, preferably a gate, with a double row of mesh. Pull it behind your tractor and as power permits, weight it down with concrete blocks. </font>

I have to agree with this. G