Stihl model HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner

/ Stihl model HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner #1  

tomnky

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Does anyone have any experience with the Stihl Model HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner? Below is a link to their Web Page.

Stihl HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner

Any and all input on this piece of equipment will be greatly appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Stihl model HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner #2  
I got one for my b'day and have used it for about 3 hrs. Got it primarly for cutting back trees along my roads. Works good. It has the same engine my bruchcutter has, the 4 stroke. unique sound.

/ Stihl model HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner
Although, I haven't formally priced one,
I am considering buying one to trim back My trees in the yard.

Does the 16 pounds get heavy after some use?

Looks like it will beat a manual pruner all to pieces. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Stihl model HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner #4  
I don't have the new HT101 Stihl but I have a 3 year old model (two stroke) that is similar.

It is an extremely usefull tool and I wouldn't be without it. I am in the process of thinning about 5 acres of overgrown pine and spruce trees. It works great for trimming the lower branches so that I can get at the trunk with the chain saw.
It also is handy to lop off branches that are getting to close to TV towers, buildings, etc.

The only problem I've had and its not related to the pruner, is that if I have the pole extended all of the way its rather easy to pinch the saw bar when the limb starts to fall but isn't cut all the way through. It happens more often when my arms are tired and I don't get the pruner out of the way fast enough. I've had to replace the bar and chain due to this.

It does get heavy after while and is a little clumsy to handle and store. But if you have a lot of trees its a great tool.

/ Stihl model HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner #5  
Does anyone have any experience with the Stihl pole saw attachment they make for their brush cutters/trimmers? I have an FS85 that takes most of the attachments. I know the 'pole saw' attachment doesn't have the full-length reach of the dedicated pole saw but I think it uses the same saw head/cutter bar. I wondered how well it works, it's got to be a lot cheaper than the dedicated unit and it might be worth picking one up.

/ Stihl model HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner #6  
I have the Stihl model, and it works very well. The weight will eventually get to you, but not as quick if you keep it more upright when extended. Its when you have it more parallel to the ground that the tip feels 'heavy'. The total weight of 16 lbs isn't bad at first, but seems to get heavier as time goes on.
The power plant is very good.
I cut limbs of mostly wh. oak and red oak, and find that it works best when at the highest point to cut through the bark on the underside a bit before cutting from the upper. Also, pinching is not a problem when doing this AND when calculating or figuring out which way the limb will roll or twist when cut. Tough when at the full height, as you are cutting from the side of the branch, and not on its topside. But still beats the manual drag saw technique.

/ Stihl model HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner
I priced one today and was Quoted $599.95 +tax for one . /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The replacement chain was $15.00 + 6 % tax..

/ Stihl model HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner #8  
I have the older model too. It does get akward to use especially when you're reaching to get a limb that's almost out of reach. The other thing to remember is if you're really reaching for a limb makes sure you don't end up standing too close to where the limb will fall. Sometimes you forget that when all you have to do is get a little bit closer.

It's a great tool and has lived up to Stihl's reputation. I don't use it much but when I do, year after year, it starts and runs. I've found it useful in trimming the trees around the pastures so the ROPS and I don't take a beating.

/ Stihl model HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner #9  
tim, I have a Tanaka setup like that and I use it like crazy. It is not as heavy as the long uns and is real handy. If course, the Stihl stuff is pretty pricey...

/ Stihl model HT101 Extendable Pole Pruner #10  
I have had one of these saws since spring. So far I like it. If you get a pole saw you will find that you use it more than you ever thought you would. I had one of the cheap Remington electric ones that I had nearly worn out when it burned. It got more use than any other yard tool except the trimmer. The Stihl was to replace it.

The Stihl starts easy IF you follow the instructions and the instruction book is well written and clear. The 4-Mix engine does sound a little strange but runs well. The clutch also makes strange noises but I am told this is normal. Unlike a 2 stroke it will sit and idle forever. After about an hour or so of intermittent use it does become heavy. On all these small saws the chain is easily dulled. You must be extra careful not to touch the ground or anything except wood, even with the saw not running.

My next door neighbor bought a Shindiawa pole saw. It does not extend, instead it breaks into two peices for transport. It is a couple of pounds lighter but does not reach as far. I like mine because of the extra reach and it is also easier to cut limbs close to the ground without the pole being extended. The one thing I do not like is that it will not fit in the bed of my Dakota pickup without sticking out. Kinda like having a "Steal Me Please" sign on it.

Three things if you buy one. First get one of the ear-protectors with the face screen. Most of your cutting will be done over your head and the sawdust was always getting in my eyes even with safety glasses on. The face screen really helps though you will still need the safety glasses. Second learn how to 'hinge' the limbs so they fall away from you and be aware that half will fall on you anyway. Third hide it from family, friends, and neighbors because everybody has some limbs in their yard that they need you to cut.

And yes, I have wondered how one would sound with a straight pipe on it.

Have fun.