Pull behind atv mowers

/ Pull behind atv mowers #1  

goatman

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 30
I have used my neighbors bush hog 42".. I would like to get something like it, but would like a 54-60" cut has any one ever seen one that big?? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Pull behind atv mowers #2  
I used to have an Agri-Fab 63" that I used to pull behind mine garden tractors. Worked great until I hit the end of fence post sticking up out of the ground. I replaced about $500 worth of parts including the belts it kept eating up after that. It also couldn't quite mow as fast as my NH TC-24. I bought it for $1,300. Had it about 2 years (only really used 1 as I hit the fence post beginning of the 2nd year). Spent $500 on parts and then finally sold it for $500.

Swisher also makes a 60" cut. It didn't seem to be as heavy built as the Agri-Fab unit, but I like it better as it floated on 4 large tires vs. the Agri-Fab with 2 and anti-scalp wheels in the front. I believe TSC usually carries the Swisher brand.

/ Pull behind atv mowers #3  
My only experience is keeping the neighbors 'pull-behind' running for him. He goes too fast and his pull-behind wasn't designed for 'heavy' use. After several modifications, including beefing up the frame and the wheel axles, finally have a unit that seems to take the abuse. I prefer the 3pt variety, and like the unit closer to me, rather than stirring up things that can fly 'way out there', outside my comfort zone.

/ Pull behind atv mowers #4  
I got a used Brush Hogg GT42 for free. Fixed up the deck with some angle iron + weld. New tires and a eng tune up. Cost about $150 bucks to get it running. 2nd time I used it hit a rock busted the blade spindle, $250 to get parts. Next time I used it the 10.5 HPmotor (briggs) tossed its rod. Found a left over 12.5 for $399 the extra power really helps. Keep two extra belts at all times. Now that I have the main areas cut back and rock removed it works like a champ. I would say we have ~ 25 hours on it so far. Its no tractor /brush hogg but it fills the void until I get one. theres another mdel on the market called Acreaze(sp) but the run $3500 no way would I take that trip!

/ Pull behind atv mowers #5  
I have the Swisher 60 in. trail mower. I use it to mow about four acres of pasture behind my NH TZ 24. Not a real heavy duty unit but has worked well for me for about 25 hrs so far.

/ Pull behind atv mowers
The Swisher 60", Is it study enough to keep a pasture clear ie small mutifloral rose and sage grass?? How much does it weigh?? Could you pull it with a Honda 300 4wd up gentle hills?? Thanks for your time.. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Pull behind atv mowers #7  
JUST CURIOUS, BUT why if u have a tc30 would you want a pull behind mower instead of a mower or brush hog for the tractor? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Pull behind atv mowers #8  
Goatman,

You might want to take a look at the Kunz Engineering line of ArcEase mowers:
Kunz Engineering Products

They are designed with ATV towing in mind. Videos of the products in use are at:
ArcEase Mowers with ATV

Their finish mowers are 60" and their rough cuts are 57". They come in a range from homeowner to tough commercial. Prices are listed on the website. ATV tongue is available for about $75.

Good luck...

/ Pull behind atv mowers
I am un comfortable with some of the slopes and the narrow width of the tc 30.. I am looking at getting 2 piece rims for the Tc30 before I purchace a pull behind mower.. but am considering the mower as a back up...And would like to go with 60 -63" if I can find under $1500.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Pull behind atv mowers #10  
I pull a 60" swisher behind an 18HP craftsman lawn tractor to mow 5 acres of pasture. The tractor has a 42" deck so I get about an 8 foot cut on each pass. It works fine. We have a good mix of grass and legume and of course some weeds. I can let it grow to 5-6" and still mow it high without any problem. The acrease is a better built unit but costs a good bit more. I don't know what a Honda 300 is, but my garden tractor can pull the swisher easily up gentle slopes. Mine was $1299 at Farm and Fleet (like TSC) with the B&S engine.