Sabre 1742HS vs Scotts S1642

/ Sabre 1742HS vs Scotts S1642 #1  

HappyOne

Silver Member
Tractor
L5740HSTC
I was going to buy a Craftsman while they are on sale, but I want to make sure that I don't have a problem. I decided to look at Deere, and can't afford that. I am considering these two Deere made units, and am wondering if the Sabre is worth the extra $50. The Sabre has a Briggs Intek 17 hp, and the Scotts has a 16hp Kohler. I plan to mow about 2 acres and about a mile of walking trails. Terrain is fairly level, with a few short sloped spots. Should I just save my money and get the Craftsman, or are one of these really worth the extra $.

One last question. Will any of these hold their value like a Deere?

Thank you!
James

/ Sabre 1742HS vs Scotts S1642 #2  
James, I have a limited experience with sears power equipment, but I'll pass this along...

If you buy from sears, I've been told they have something about putting special parts on their power equipment. One of my riding mowers I bought from a friend.It's a craftsman w/kholer engine. Last year the muffler blows out, off I go to the local small engine shop with my old muffler, after comparing the selection of mufflers they had,that will fit just about anything...nada.. nothing will fit.The guy that's helping me says "get use to it, it's a craftsman". Off to sears to order a $50 muffler that should have cost $30.00. I don't know about your local sears,but if you go to our sears parts store, just about everything has to be ordered.

ps...I just re-read my post, I'm not bashing sears.

/ Sabre 1742HS vs Scotts S1642
Thanks Shorty. I have been going over it most of the day. I am back to looking at the lower priced hydro's that sears has. They have a Briggs engine with the splash oil. I don't know why I convinced myself that I wanted one of the newer engines with pressure oil. This is killing me, all I want is a mower that won't need repairs after the first few hours.

/ Sabre 1742HS vs Scotts S1642 #4  
James, I know a couple of people who have used Craftsman mowers a lot of years and like them. Personally, I'd be afraid of them, because I've known even more people who had bad luck with them. And used ones are almost worthless. I have a DR trimmer/mower with the little 6hp Briggs Intek that's seen 3 years of pretty hard use and going strong, but I think given the choice, I'd prefer the Kohler. I used a Cub Cadet with a Kohler engine for 4 years with no problems; only reason I got rid of it was because I wanted a wider cut and decided to just use a 3-point mower on the tractor. But probably none of the 3 will hold their value as well as a Deere; folks are just attracted to the Deere name and green paint. I don't know much about the newer Deeres, but if they're still using the Kawasaki engine, they were good.

Bird

Bird, It's definately not as easy as deciding I want a rider. We have 40 acres, and just decided to start keeping about 2 mowed along with our walking trails. I have a 43 hp Kubota that is just too much for mowing. I have kept most of the area mown with a brush hog, but the trails are difficult to manuver on with the loader on, and it's just more than my wife or kids can operate safely. I am tempted to run to Wally World and just grab something cheap and hope for the best, but I don't like the 50/50 chance of having more than my share of problems. I have a salesman at sears who is offering an extra 5% off which is making it that much more tempting. I am going to Deere tomorrow, and see how much they are willing to come off the price of $1850 they quoted me on the 1742. I also want to see some records of what they have sold used ones for recently. If all goes well, I hope to get something by Monday, just don't want buyers remorse.

/ Sabre 1742HS vs Scotts S1642 #6  
James,
If you're going to be using the mower on anything other than a lawn I'd forget about buying a cheaper end model. Unless your trails are smooth and bump and hazard free you will tear one of those cheaper mowers up in a couple years. They just won't hold up to the abuse of that. I agree with Bird on the Kohler motor though. Also if you're going to be mowing on any kind of side hills I wouldn't go with the splash system. I know guys that have burnt up brand new mowers doing that. Last year a friend of mine burnt a brand new craftsman 18 hp one up mowing on a side hill. A couple years ago my one neighbor that has the BX 2400 got one of the cheaper models from Farm & Fleet. It was a $1500-2000 machine. In two years of mowing his yard and surrounding area, which is rough, he had broken the front axles three times, was on his second mower deck, and numerous other things. The last time it broke I was over there cutting some wood and he kicked it about three or four times and went up and bought the Bx. I helped him weld the frame back up and he put it up on his road and sold it the next day for $500.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

Well, I went to Deere and they had sold the demo 1742 sabre. He kept pointing at the ground were it should have been. They have more but not put together. I also saw a used LT155 they wanted $1950 for. It is about 2 years old and has mismatched rear tires. The back fenders are rubbed to metal in a few spots, but otherwise just needs a good cleaning. Seems kind of high to me.

I also went to HD and looked at the Scotts. They all were weathered, or scratched. Didn't feel that great about paying $1798 for a less than perfect machine.

Time to regroup, and just whip out the brush hog for this cutting.

/ Sabre 1742HS vs Scotts S1642 #8  
I have a similar comparison to look at before dropping some good money sears 25hp 48 deck vs. scotts 23hp 48 deck.
Sears runs the Kohler pro vs the scotts Kohler command. heavier gauge deck, bigger tires, on the sears. within about 100 bucks between the two. any opions on the choices ??

/ Sabre 1742HS vs Scotts S1642 #9  
Just MHO, but I would choose a Deere over a craftsman any day. Just far superior in construction.

-Ben

/ Sabre 1742HS vs Scotts S1642 #10  
I have 5 tractors now, my wife thinks I'm nuts. I bought a new Sabre 17 hp hydrostatic model a year ago with a 32 in deck, can't recall the model. I've owned a troybuilt 16 hp hydrostatic model for 3 years (had several minor problems with the deck) my father-in- law has owned many sears tractors, who made them I don't know. I am really impressed with the Sabre, considering it is a cheaper end model. Based on my past experience with a craftsman tractor I'd stick with the Sabre, no contest. Only dislike I have with the Sabre is the small gas tank relative to the Troybuilt and the two compact diesels I have.

No mechanical problems with the Sabre, but I just bought a 14 year old JD 322 diesel with 500 hrs at an auction at a great price. Also have a Kubota B7200 2wd with a 60 in Woods finish mower. Will probably sell the Sabre and the Kubota as the 322 is just the right size to mow my 5 acres here in Texas. The Kubota's is great for the wide open spaces, but too big around the trees, the Sabre I bought to mow the yard before my family and all my stuff moved down from Ohio, it's great by the trees but too small for the open spaces.

If you're looking at buying a Sabre and live around Houston, let me know. Celebrebs@aol.com