Briggs & Stratton 8 HP Engine Fuel Leak

/ Briggs & Stratton 8 HP Engine Fuel Leak #1  

jrdellaratta

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 990
I have a B&S 8 hp engine on my TroyBilt Horse rear-tine tiller. Two weeks ago I discovered a fuel leak at the base of the fuel tank, where the fuel shut-off valve assembly attaches to the bottom of the fuel tank. I ruled out the leak coming from point where the valve attaches to the fuel line itself: I put some gas into the empty tank, and had the fuel valve closed. Only when I opened it did the drip begin. Watching closely, it seems to be coming from the base of the tank.

Is there a way to stop the leak at the connection point to the tank, simply, or do I have to relace the entire valve assembly? LiIkewise, how difficult is it to detatch the assembly from the base of the fuel tank---it seems to be pretty well attached. Any and all insights appreciated. This unit, while more than 2 years old, only has about 30 hours on it.

/ Briggs & Stratton 8 HP Engine Fuel Leak #2  
I'm a little confused. If it doesn't leak with gas in the tank & the fuel valve closed , then it isn't the tank leaking. I don't know what type of valve you have on the tank, but some are the screw in angle valve . The have a nut on the valve itself that squeezes a rubber washer or packing against the stem. Tighten the nut & the leak stops.

/ Briggs & Stratton 8 HP Engine Fuel Leak
I could have been more clear. It appears that the fuel leaks from the point where the valve connects to the base of the tank. I expected the leak to begin the moment I put some gas into the tank, but this wasn't the case. The fuel valvle was shut closed, and I got under the tank with a flashlight to see what was what. The second I opened the valve, the drip began, but it appeared that the leak was originating from above the valve, at the point where the entire assembly plugs in to the bottom of the tank.

I looked at the link you provided, and the valve I have seems like a hybrid: the switch itself looks like the one on part # 120212, but it is a 90 degree assembly, like part # 120224. If it is only the bushing like part # 125336 that needs work, I'm curious how to remove the old one and replace it. Once home tonight, I'll look at it all,a nd the manual for a part number, again. Thanks.

/ Briggs & Stratton 8 HP Engine Fuel Leak #4  
If it is leaking at the bushing it would leak all the time. I still think it is the shut off valve itself that is leaking. Some as you can see, thread into the tank, others I believe are just pushed into the bushing. Post back what you find.

/ Briggs & Stratton 8 HP Engine Fuel Leak
I think I have the leak fixed. Only extended ops will tell. On Saturday, I disconnected the fuel line and unscrewed the entire valve out of the bottom of the tank. The grey, _plastic_ o-ring or gasket was cracked in half, in two pieces, around the threads. I then made sure the o-ring that sits atop the screw-in part of the valve was in and where it's supposed to be, and applied two wraps of plumbers tape to the threads of the valvle.

Then I screwed the valve all the way in---it's possible the valve was never fully inserted, and I may have had a leak since Hour One, since it feels tighter than ever underneath the tank---and reattached the fuel line.

Then I opened up the valve, and no gas dripped from the base of the fuel tank. Crisis solved, for the moment.