Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here?

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #1  

WINSTONSM

Tractor
Looking
Just looking on some input on Kubota's Zero turn diesel mowers. How well do they hold up? Price compare to the Kubota 2230 with 5'MMM? I would love to have one but the 2230 or a GC2300 Massey can do more. Please help /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #2  
I don't have one, but have used my neighbors ZD 21 a couple of times. I really enjoyed it. If mowing is your only chore, it is the way to go. I have a BX 2200, and it is what I need for all of my work. I plan to buy a ZD or ZG in the future.
As far as reliabilty, I would imagine they would last almost forever for the average homeowner. I have 800 hours on my BX, mostly mowing, and it still works like the day I bought it. A ZD 21 or a BX 2230 with a 5' MMM will be very close in price.
Will

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #3  
I agonized over the purchase of a new mower this past spring. I considered a couple of cheaper riders, a mid mount and a rear mount for my L3710, a sub CUT and zero turns. After a test ride on the ZD21Pro everything else was ruled out. I put 50 hours on the mower this summer and only have 1 regret - that I didn't get one sooner.

I finish mow 3 acres around the house on a weekly basis, my mow time went from 3 hours with a 48" craftsman to under an hour. Try it you'll buy it. I used to know down the 10 - 12 acre front yard once a month with the brush hog, now I finish mow it with the ZD21.

Of course I kept the L3710 for the heavy lifting, (brush hog, FEL, snow blowing etc).

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #4  
Can anyone compare the ZD 28 to a comparable Husqvarna unit? My dealer is offering a good special on a 61", 27 hp Husqvarna, and this is the choice I'm agonizing over. This week.

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #5  
We got a ZD21Pro this past year and it is simply amazing.

Super powerful, super quiet, excellent fuel economy, and first class engineering are attributes I would ascribe to it. Haven't tried the ZD-28 with the 72" deck, but I would imagine it must be awesome too as the ZD-21 has mucho power and control.

Our only regret is not getting one sooner....

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #6  
Weekend before last, I was talking to one of my wife's nephews who is in charge of all the grounds maintenance at a couple of the biggest cemeteries in the area and he told me his crew uses 6 ZDs; start mowing Monday morning and finish Thursday. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I didn't ask how many hours they rack up on one in a year, but I think even I would get tired of that machine under those conditions. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #7  
Husky doesn't have anything comparable to the ZD mowers, they may have size wize but just take a look at the two, especially the drive system, no comparison.

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #8  
I test drove a bunch and web shopped even more. I took a look at the 27 horse Husky, it has a Kawasaki gas engine if I remember correctly. I think at that point I was convinced diesel and Kubota were the way to go.

/ Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #9  
I looked at them and test drove the ZD21. Very nice units. I ended up buying a 27hp Scag ZTR 61" deck. It's a gas engine, but it cost a couple thousand less than the ZD21. I also loked at Huskavarra offerings. I liked the Scag and Kubota offerings better than the husky's. Scag is primarily a commerical mower company.
ZTR's are awesome to mow with. Going around obsticles is a breeze. Here's a pic of our Scag.

Moon of Ohio

Attachments

• 516256-Scag.jpg
    516256-Scag.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,167
   / Any Kubota ZD21F or ZD28F mowers here? #10  
The problem I have with any diesel engine in a "lawn mower", including zero turn mowers, is that the motor will our live the deck and drive system three or four times over. We have sold many diesel GrassHoppers to the state and couties and some have over 6000 hours on them. However, once they get up to around 1500-2000 its time for a new deck. After the deck goes out the clutch and drive units won't be far behind. It was looking at one of the units the local county has, 6013 hours, has had four decks, three drive units, and three clutches replaced mainly because the motor is still holding up.

As a homeowner I couldn't justify spending a few extra thousand dollars for a diesel motor because chances are you will never put the amount of hours on it to justify the cost. Diesels are great for people that use them every day to make a living, but other than that they are overkill. Thats just my take on the matter.