Need some guidance in buying a lawn mower.

/ Need some guidance in buying a lawn mower. #1  

Gracie

I'm currently using an 11HP, 36" cut mower. I mow 2 acres, thick/fast growing grass, mostly flat but have one steep bank that does get mowed as well. My mower ....barely ....makes .....it ......to ......the ......top of the steep bank. Some trees to mow around, but not much else.

I'm looking to spend up to $1,400.

I don't know the first thing about mowers and have no idea "how much" mower I need to do the job.

-Would a 17.5HP, with a 42 inch cut be all that I need? Or do I need something bigger like a 21HP & 42 inch cut? Can I get away with a small HP motor, but get a bigger deck (42"+)?

-What is a "3 in 1 capable cutting deck"? Some mowers say they are "mulch ready" what does that mean?

-Would it be better to buy a used lawn mower? I'd tried out one of those that you operate with your hands (forward/backwards) and it was soooooooooo nice. They're out of my price range, and probably over-kill for what I need anyway.

My husband swears that my little mower works just fine. I beg to differ because "reverse" only works in spurts. You know....it jerks backwards in spurts. Did I mention I have to wear ear plugs because the muffler fell off? The biggest problem is that my 11HP, 36inch cut, 20 year old mower can barely make it through the grass without bogging down.....and it takes FOREVER to get the job done because it goes so freaking slow.

I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out. I guess I'm really wondering how much mower I need. Any advice would be appreciated.

/ Need some guidance in buying a lawn mower. #2  
Gracie,

Welcome to TBN. It would help a lot if you fill in your profile so everyone kind of knows the area you live in.

Also you may want to put a post in the Garden Tractor Section a bit down from this section. You may find more answers there.

Now on to your question. First, I think you should go on strike and make your husband mow the lawn. This way he will he have more of an understanding of the problems at hand. And you may want to move up the dollar value just a bit. Your hill situation (same as mine)is why I ended up going with a CUT. Most riding mowers will not climb my hill either. Not saying you have to go to a CUT but you do really need a good Garden Tractor. Also don't cut on the HP. Get one with at least 24 or 25 horsepower with a 42" deck.

murph

/ Need some guidance in buying a lawn mower.
I added my location to my profile. I'll read around in the Garden Tractor Section.

I did go on strike once and let him mow it once. He said it was fine and that I just needed to go slower. (He did fix the steering and sharpened the blades.) It took him 3.5 hours to mow 2 acres. It took my father-in-law 6 hours (but the grass was really high when we bought this place). On the other hand, I love mowing the grass and it made me jealous watching him riding around out there. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What is a CUT?

/ Need some guidance in buying a lawn mower. #4  
<font color="blue"> What is a CUT? </font>

Compact Utility Tractor
It's the next step up from your garden tractor, but smaller than an agricultural tractor.
You have to buy one, but don't let your husband near it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's mine, a New Holland TC18, with a 60 inch rear finish mower...
(see attached photo)

Welcome to Tractor By Net!

Attachments

• 521731-IM000009.JPG
    521731-IM000009.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 236
   / Need some guidance in buying a lawn mower. #5  
A CUT is a Compact Utility Tractor. They start at around 10,000 in that area brand new. Much higher than the dollars you want to spend. Two acres does take some time. I was told by a guy one time that when sizing your lawn mower that one should size it so you spend about an hour on mowing each time. To me a 48" deck would be the minimum I would go with. I have two acres and I mow with a 72" deck. But I have a CUT and use it for business and other reasons. Otherwise I would be in the 48 or 54 range.

murph

Well my husband does have a backhoe (that he doesn't need). Surely my toys should be as big (or cost as much) as his? $$,$$$

Andy, can you get a decent backhoe attachment for a CUT?

We talked about selling his backhoe and buying a tractor that has a mower and backhoe attachment. We didn't know if the tractor would be over-kill and the if the backhoe attachment would be work decently. (Just for home use.) Never know when you need to dig a drain or something. *shrug*

/ Need some guidance in buying a lawn mower. #8  
<font color="blue"> "Andy, can you get a decent backhoe attachment for a CUT?" </font>

Maybe not this brand in particular, but this size would fit your needs. It's a SCUT - a sub-compact utility tractor.

I attached a picture of a DougM's Massey Ferguson GC2310. It has a front end loader, backhoe, and mower in one unit!
521746-test3%20017.jpg

Here's also a picture of a similar Kubota, from their website...
BX_series.jpg

Attachments

• 521746-test3 017.jpg
    521746-test3 017.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 168
   / Need some guidance in buying a lawn mower. #9  
What size backhoe does he have? Very large industrial type backhoe, or a smaller backhoe on an agriclutural tractor? You can get backhoes for most all CUT tractors and SubCUT tractors. I guess it depends what he wants to do with the backhoe though. Here's a Kubota BX23, which is a competitor to the Massey GC2310 posted above. The BX23 and GC2310 sub compact utility tractors and are smaller than a standard CUT, but not that much smaller. The SubCUTs are about 50% larger in size than the largest rider mower I've ever seen, and the SubCUT chassis is about the same size as smaller CUT chassis. The difference is that the SubCUT tires are smaller than a CUT tire, and the machines are a little lighter and a little less powerful in lifting and pulling. Mowing a SubCUT is fantastic.

Attachments

• 521757-bx23-1.jpg
    521757-bx23-1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 150
It's a 1971 580 CK. He says it's one of the smaller (smallest?) industrial ones. He just needs it to maintain a 100 foot gravel driveway and to do some light digging. Need to put a drain beside the one side of our house at some point. The one he has is more than he needs at this point.

PICT6239.JPG

We'll look around at the suggest you all made.