Best Mulching blades

/ Best Mulching blades #1  

GregH

Bronze Member
Does anyone know the best muclching blades for mainly leaves, small leaves like water oak ! I have heard from some that the discharge should be blocked and from others to allow the leaves to be discharged. Don't know what to believe.
Thanks
GregH

/ Best Mulching blades #2  
Greg:

I bought some GATOR BLADES which work great, they are same cutting edge as most any blade but also the back half of the blade is pinched UP more and SLOTS cut in it to form TEETH/CUTTING EDGES so the back of the blade cuts as does the front of the blade this also creates more flow of air out the deck. (i have3 mowers one deck is OPEN and the other deck is closed) but both have same gator blades and are just great also they are THICK (a good 1/4" thick if not 5/16" where regular replacement blades are like 1/8" or 3/32") anyhow I run both and there is a bit more mulching with the deck closed.

MarkM

/ Best Mulching blades #3  
Gator blades are the only way to go. They are thicker and they do not require as much sharpening as standard factory blades

/ Best Mulching blades #4  
Where can you get gator blades? I really hate to mail order, would rather purchase them direct from a store or mower shop, but will consider either way, I just can't seem to find them anywhere.

/ Best Mulching blades #5  
We sell them at our dealership for Deere mowers and can order them for just about anything. I would think that most Deere dealers would have access to them.

/ Best Mulching blades #6  
I think I purchased my gator blades for my JD955 72" mower here I also suggested this to a friend who along with myself was more than happy with the price & quick service.

/ Best Mulching blades #7  
Thanks to both of you for the info. I will check with the dealers around me first and if I can't find the gator blades there, then I will order from the link that was posted. No big rush I think I am done mowing this year. Thanks again