What's happening with my mower blades?

/ What's happening with my mower blades? #1  

Onthelake

What\'s happening with my mower blades?

I am at a loss as to what is happening to my blades on my JD L130 with 48 inch deck. I bought it used last year. The blades that were on it looked like someone had taken a grinder to the trailing edge of each blade. The part that bends up to give the grass lift was gone almost totally. I actually thought someone ground it off for some reason. So I put new blades on. Now I'll admit that if it cuts, I don't go looking for problems. But last weekend I happen to look at the blades. They were the same, the trailing edge gone. What's happening to my blades? I live where th soil is sandy. Could the sand be blasting my blades away? The leading edge was still reasonably sharp.

Rod

/ What's happening with my mower blades? #2  
Re: What\'s happening with my mower blades?

Sand is blasting your blades away, try to raise the height of the deck a little to see if that helps decrease the erosion of the blades.

/ What's happening with my mower blades? #3  

The blades on an L series mower deck are very light duty. I put a set of Gators on my L100 and that took care of the problem. I still have to put the bagging blades on in the fall when using the rear bagger.

/ What's happening with my mower blades? #4  

With sandy soil & light duty blades, you will probably only get one yr. out of them.

/ What's happening with my mower blades?

I never saw anything like this before. Of course I never had sandy soil. This could get expensive. Think I'll look for better blades. Thanks for the replys.
Rod

/ What's happening with my mower blades? #6  

I have a friend who lives by the Mississippi river( sandy soil!) and he says he's lucky to get a year out of his Massey's blades.

/ What's happening with my mower blades? #7  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I never saw anything like this before. Of course I never had sandy soil. This could get expensive. Think I'll look for better blades. Thanks for the replys.
Rod )</font>

I see it about 3 or 4 times a year on my Craftsman 42" riding mower. The sand really eats them up fast.

If you have a Tractor Supply in your area you might try them for blades. I have not used their blades but I am going to when I need some more. They are $10 per blade at TSC and $15 a blade at Sears so even if they don't last longer at least I will save $10 per set of 2.

Bill Tolle