JD317 PTO Clutch

/ JD317 PTO Clutch #1  

htiek126

Silver Member
Tractor
Iseki TA270F, Yanmar YM1510D, Mitsubishi MT2201D
I replaced the bearing in my JD317 PTO clutch, but I do not know how to reassemble it correctly. The 4 outer bolts tighten down on the plate with 4 springs backing it. How do you know how much to compress the springs?

/ JD317 PTO Clutch #2  
Call a Dealer and ask them what the air gap for the clutch assembly is.

I have a GT242 and I think it has an air gap of .007".
this is set checking the gap with a "feeler gauge". At least on My machine it is. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD317 PTO Clutch #3  
Keith, Tomnky is correct, call your dealer or get some info on-line. Here's an excellent JD L&G link:
http://www.weekendfreedommachines.org/
My 314 uses a 0.012"-0.014" air gap and some of the earlier 140's use 0.018". The incorrect gap will not work. You'll find 4 slots for sticking a feeler gage into to check the adjustment. One additional comment: Make sure the mounting surface on your block is clean and use the star washer on your coil mounting nuts. These washers "dig in" to the coli mounting plate and "electrically" attach your clutch to the wiring system. These 4 bolts and/or your block become the "ground." Hope this helps, Bob

/ JD317 PTO Clutch
Thanks, I found the four slots and I will give it a shot this weekend. I thought there must have been something more to it than just bolting it back on.