Briggs 5 hp on log splitter

/ Briggs 5 hp on log splitter #1  
I

Indiana_Tom

Hi,

I have a log splitter with a Briggs 5hp that has the carb assembly connected directly to the tank which in turn is bolted to the engine. I have a hole in the bottom of the tank.

Does anyone know of a good on-line seller where I can buy a replacement tank at a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Tom

/ Briggs 5 hp on log splitter #2  
I have a 5HP Briggs that's on a generator bought in 1971.I also needed a tank I ordered one thru Jackssmall engines.
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/
It was expensive.$55.00 (I think) and took over 3 months to get it.(I think they had to get one made??) But it fit fine and I'm back in business.. sometimes EBay has them, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I also bought the small brass fuel filter that's on the end of the pick up tube..it was full of junk and wouldn't let fuel thru

/ Briggs 5 hp on log splitter #3  
Tom

Welcome to TBN!!
How old is that Briggs engine?
Looking at mark1's post, sounds pricy to get fixed.
I just saw a great deal on an engine if yours is getting pretty old.
A 5hp Honda engine for $209!!!
Northern Tool 5 HP Honda

They also have a 4.5HP Honda for $169 and a bunch of B&S engines around $200 as well.

Just a thought...
Brian

/ Briggs 5 hp on log splitter
Thanks Mark, that does sound a little pricey but a real good thought about replacing the brass filter. Brian, that's a good alternative but the engine seems to work fine. However, sure enough, if I replace the tank then the engine will feel left out and need some attention.

I had a friend at the pub today say "hey, use some jb weld on the tank. Paul Harvey says it works."

I might give it a try first.

Oh, I used to be on here quite a bit until last spring. But when I tried to log back on a few months ago I couldn't because I couldn't remember the password. I sent 3 emails asking to be to reset but never received a response from anyone. So, I set up a new email ID and just started over today. I was "Hoosier_Daddy" before. No bigggie.

/ Briggs 5 hp on log splitter #5  
I don't if I'd trust JB weld or Paul Harvey! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nah, both are good in their own ways! There are however some compounds that are MADE to patch things such as gas tanks as where a lot of the products wouldn't hold up to gas. One that comes to mind is Redhand. It's a two part application that you mix together. It's pretty tough stuff. It's been a while since I've used it and I can't remember if it's even rated to withstand gas. I'd look around at the hardware store, you should be able to find something that will hold you over if you choose not to just get a new tank.

/ Briggs 5 hp on log splitter #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks Mark, that does sound a little pricey but a real good thought about replacing the brass filter. Brian, that's a good alternative but the engine seems to work fine. However, sure enough, if I replace the tank then the engine will feel left out and need some attention.

I had a friend at the pub today say "hey, use some jb weld on the tank. Paul Harvey says it works."

I might give it a try first.

Oh, I used to be on here quite a bit until last spring. But when I tried to log back on a few months ago I couldn't because I couldn't remember the password. I sent 3 emails asking to be to reset but never received a response from anyone. So, I set up a new email ID and just started over today. I was "Hoosier_Daddy" before. No bigggie. )</font>======================
I used Liquid steel to seal a leak in the gas tank on my bolens tractor.After it set up I covered it with auto body filler. had to apply the filler and let it set up 2 or 3 times but it stopped the leak. That was several years ago and it hasn't leaked since.

/ Briggs 5 hp on log splitter #7  
Yeh I too thought that tank price was to much..I looked for months at used ones (Junk) The generator itself is mounted tight to the motor,and it is a back up generator for my 87 year old aunt's sump pump who is on social security who cries everytime something goes wrong. so 55 bucks to her was ok as compared to a complete engine..and who knows she's 87 she might not ever need to run the engine anyhow. You should see her out there pulling on the rope!!!!!! NAAAAAAA /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Briggs 5 hp on log splitter #8  
I would go to a good hardware store and get some of the plastic putty type 2 part epoxy , they have about 5 different types now and they make one for patching gas tanks, and will aptch over ahole running gas right out of it. I used some on my fuel pump when the line fitting on the NEW pump stripped out and I was stuck with a closed autoparts. luckly I had this stuff in the car. smashed it together and fixed the pump line and it never leaked again, oh this was the pressure side too btw! it was holding then blew off and made a mess luckly nothing caught on fire! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I did loose one car to a fire by teaching the daughter how to drive though back field and she backed into a stump and split the tank seam which proceded to catch by means of a hot exhaust...

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Briggs 5 hp on log splitter #9  
If you have a small pin hole in the tank just insert a short sheetmetal screw in it. I did this once on a 1969 Chevy Impala. It was leak free when i traded it in with over 150,000 miles on it.

/ Briggs 5 hp on log splitter #10  
Wow... metal on metal with a gas tank? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I don't think thats a good way to go about it. On a plastic tank its one thing but not a metal one. One spark and you might not live to tell about the fix.