4 cycle weedeaters??????????????

/ 4 cycle weedeaters?????????????? #1  

BLUEBONNET2

Gold Member
Tractor
nortrac 25 xt JD zeroturn 54", briggs mtr.
good evening,
anyone got a 4 cycle weedeater? saw one today at the local Sears outlet....$200. looks nice and felt good when i picked it up, not much heavier than a 2 cycle..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

let me know /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
and a note to all TBN'rs and visitors, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A GREAT NEW YEAR TO ALL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

regards,
bluebonnet2

/ 4 cycle weedeaters?????????????? #2  
I have a Stihl pole-saw with the 4-Mix engine. This is the same engine used on some of their trimmers. It is a four stroke with cams and valves but no oil sump. It uses pre-mixed oil and gas just like a two stroke. The pole saw engine starts easy, uses little fuel, turns high rpms, and will sit and idle all day long. It is heavier but I would not hesitate to buy a trimmer with the same engine. I can see it taking more maintenance.

/ 4 cycle weedeaters?????????????? #3  
4 cycle engines:
last longer, are cleaner, use less fuel, require less maintenence and are quiter
on the down side:
are heavier, need more attention (oil changes), more expensive (in most cases) and sometimes dont like being upside-down
4 cycle weed eaters are good but 2 strokes are probably the best option. i own a 2 stroke but might go for the 4 stroke if i didnt use it to cut the hedge aswell
mith

/ 4 cycle weedeaters?????????????? #4  
The Stihl 4-stroke uses oil mixed with the fuel as lubrication as does a 2-stroke. Therefore it can be run upside down and has no oil sump that needs to be filled or changed.

/ 4 cycle weedeaters?????????????? #5  
so its more like a 3-stroke then /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
cross between the two
the ones ive seen here in the UK have separate filler caps for oil and petrol and take raw petrol
but i suppose that was abour 18months ago now
i stand corrected /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
mith

/ 4 cycle weedeaters??????????????
good afternoon,
today i bought a troy built 4 cycle weed trimmer at lowe's, $189. brought it home, put it together( detachable trimmer), put 30 wght oil in it, some gas, fired right up( easy pull), so far so good /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.troy built has other attachments available /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifmay get the chain saw later /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
will see how it goes in about six weeks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.
Also on the way home last night from work, stop in wally world for dog food and found a small (2 hp, 3 gallon) air compressor for $50... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, will test it later, had hose, some aditional items like a nozzle, tire fitting, etc. reg. price $98, just right for my small shop...... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
will keep you posted....

regards and thanks,
bluebonnet2

/ 4 cycle weedeaters?????????????? #7  
congratulations on your new purchase
may i ask wether you have to mix the oil and fuel or does it go in seperate filler holes?
mith

/ 4 cycle weedeaters??????????????
good morning,
seperate fillers, one for gas, one for oil......the guy at lowes said that by 2006-07, 2 cycle motors will probably be a thing of the past due to EPA regulations. i don't know the details. this unit uses HD30 weight oil, about 3-4 oz. and regular unleaded gas.....1 year warranty /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
hope this helps.....you might try their web site(www.troybuilt.com) i bought the straight shaft model..

regards,
bluebonnet2

/ 4 cycle weedeaters?????????????? #9  
Harbor freight has a 4 cycle trimmer on sale now for $79.99...............it also takes the various attachments. Ryobi, mtd, & troybuilt are all MTD brands now......... Trimmer .........I bought a couple 2 cycle trimmers from HF............Their recond models are alot of the time brand new overstock...........mine were...........Tom

/ 4 cycle weedeaters?????????????? #10  
ofcourse price reflects quality - i think bluebonnet got a good price especially as it was a straight shaft (more rigid and robust)
still $80 for any trimmer is good - the engine alone cant be far off that
mith