Stihl ms180c

/ Stihl ms180c #1  

soarkrebel

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3000DT
I have been looking at this saw and was wondering if anyone out there has one. it seem perfect for small jobs and trimming.
I have a older poulan 1800 thats great but lately the 12 year old saw has been keeping me busy fixing it. carb, reed valve fuel line.

I have a stihl fs85 and love it . stihl makes a awesome product but does the 180c hold up to the stihl rep?

I also have debated getting a ms250 but it's a little heavier than the 180. any comments on it would be appreciated also.

/ Stihl ms180c #2  
I bought an MS250 earlier this year to compliment my larger chainsaw. I am very happy with it. I guess the only negative is it doesn't have "compression release" like my other saw. I know that isn't a big deal but I sure got used to it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Stihl ms180c #3  
I've heard talk lately of how Stihls product quality has gone downhill.

I dunno though. We recently (last couple of years) replaced our older saws with a new ms36 and ms38 and have had no problems except for a recoil failure on one of them.

/ Stihl ms180c #4  
I've heard of problems with newer Stihls. I wonder if it has something to do with recent EPA mandated changes. My neighbor who logs took a new Stihl back when it wouldn't run right. I don't think he'll buy another new Stihl. I bought a smaller Stihl not too long ago that never seemed to idle right. Now it doesn't want to start. This may be something that with enough time the engineers will get the design fixed. Leave it to the EPA to hose a good product.

My much older 066 has never been a problem. I misplaced it for a couple of years and when I found it and filled it with fresh fuel it started and ran perfectly. So does all my other Stihl stuff that's pre-EPA.

/ Stihl ms180c
I haven't had any problems with my fs85 . i did have to tweak the carb this year.
I just liked the feel of the ms180c. i do alot of trimming and really like a light yet powerful saw. the 180 is claimed to run at 14,500 rpms with the pico chain.

Now i am kind of in a delema my uncle has two 025's. he would sell me one for $200 with a case . the saw looks to be in great shape.
He wants me to try it out and check it out before i decide.

i may go get it soon and give it a whirl. but i am still interested in the ms 180c.

Oh so many toys so little time! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Stihl ms180c #6  
I have owned a MS180C from Stihl for about a year. It seems to be a well made machine and works well for moderate to light sawing.
One of the reasons I bought it was for its ease of maintenance.
The covers come off without the need for tools. The one thing I will
mention is that this machine is not a one pull start system. In fact
its startup sequence is unlike any small motor I have seen. Once you get use to it though, there is very little problem starting it. Just plan on a few tugs of the rope.

/ Stihl ms180c #7  
I have a 025. I put the quick-adjust kit on it. I bought the 025 over a smaller Stihl because it does not use Oregon 91 chain. 91 chain is soft.

/ Stihl ms180c #8  
I bought a MS 250 last year, looked at the 180 and was about to buy it. salesman/owner of dealership said, why don't you look at the 250, it's a lot more saw, bought it, wish I had bought the 290 at times, and I don't use mine for real serious cutting, just typical homeowner stuff, haven't had a problem with it yet, would buy again.