MTD Snow King only runs with choke on

/ MTD Snow King only runs with choke on #11  
Since the carb is off,, SOAK it.
It's the only way to really deep clean the carb. I'll bet that's where the problem is.

/ MTD Snow King only runs with choke on #12  
Sounds like it may be running lean(high idle no power).If carb is clean and you can adjust the mixture,back out the the fuel mixture a little at a time (1/2 -1 turn @ time). If no intake leaks and good compression it should run ok.
Also could need governor adjusted if its been fooled with...
Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ MTD Snow King only runs with choke on
I do intend to soak the carb just to make sure it's as clean as it can be.

I did back out the main jet screw a little at a time but it makes no difference. I also tried backing out the idle screw and it didn't make any difference either.

As far as the govenor I think you may be onto something. I did remove the governor arm when I removed the carb in order to get the linkage apart. I later realized I didn't need to remove it but that's history now.

After I put the carb back on the first time I turned the govenor arm so that it fully opens the throttle and then tightened the screw. Maybe I should adjust it so that it doesn't open the throttle so much but it seems that would only make the engine run slower. I'll try it and see what happens.

Thanks.

/ MTD Snow King only runs with choke on #14  
If you don't have a manual, try this link... I just don't know for sure that your engine model is in here, but it's a nice tecumseh manual!
tecumseh manual
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ MTD Snow King only runs with choke on #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you don't have a manual, try this link... I just don't know for sure that your engine model is in here, but it's a nice tecumseh manual!
tecumseh manual
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif )</font>

Nice indeed! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ MTD Snow King only runs with choke on #16  
All of the above...basically your carb is running too lean. If you cannot manually (via carb adjustments) increase the fuel vapor in the intake mix, you have a fuel flow problem somewhere back upstream starting with the jets.

/ MTD Snow King only runs with choke on
Thanks for the Tecumseh manual; it's a gem. It doesn't have my specific carburetor but the one's it shows are very similar.

I made progress today. I soaked the carburetor then reinstalled it and it works great! No choke needed now.

I guess the problem was something clogging either the fuel flow or the atmospheric vent. I tend to think it was the vent because I could get a good air flow through the fuel passages with compressed air.

The air leak at the throttle wasn't the problem afterall. Nor was it an ignition or govenor issue.

I spoke to a small engine mechanic today who told me it only takes 1/16" play in the throttle shaft to allow enough air in to create such a problem. I told him I had sprayed the throttle with WD-40 and the engine speed increased. He said a new throttle shaft likely wouldn't help because the place where it sits in the carb body was probably worn. He said a new one would cost $74.00 but I don't need one yet.

One odd thing I noticed is that the engine will run with the idle screw completely seated and the main jet is only open about 3/4 of a turn off of the closed position. It idles fine though, without the choke on.

Any thoughts as to why it runs well with these settings?

Thanks everyone for your valuable input. I really appreciate it.