no spark

/ no spark #1  

gwion

I've got a Ford LGT 145, circa 1980, with a Kohler engine, and I'm not getting a spark. I replaced the spark plug and wire, points, condensor, ignition switch, and finally the coil. I have juice at the two posts on the coil, but when I crank it I get no spark. I know the spark plug wire is making good contact inside the coil. Any ideas?

/ no spark #2  
Ok..you say you have "Juice" 12 volts, at both sides of the coil? Take a test light on the side of the coil that has the wire that goes to the points. Not the battery side. hold test light and crank engine.the light should go on off on off on off that shows you that the points are opening and then closing (grounding) the circuit. if this dosent happen the coil will not create it's hi power. At the very second that the light goes off the coil should fire,at that time the current that was traveling through the points goes into the condenser.therby preventing a arc. when they close (points) the electrons in the condenser get grounded and the whole process starts again. Thats why proper point gap is important and good not worn or pitted points are needed. Let us know /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ no spark
You were right, Mark1. I thought the points were making contact, but they weren't. I adjusted them a little closer, and now the plug sparks! Thanks for the advice -- but don't go away. Tomorrow I'll have a question about why gasoline trickles out of my carburetor.

/ no spark #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Tomorrow I'll have a question about why gasoline trickles out of my carburetor. )</font>

Bad float (fills with gas), bad float needle (worn), or bad float seat (worn), or trash that prevents the needle from seating properly.