value of Stihl 017?

/ value of Stihl 017? #1  

Mith

Veteran Member
i was given a stihl 017 (is that the model no?)
it needs new piston and rings
just wondering if i should spend the £30 for the new parts or not bother
i cant find a second hand price on one so have no idea of the value if its worth the repairs
any ideas?
thanks

/ value of Stihl 017? #2  
Bought my 017 in 1996. The deal then was saw, two chains and case for $200 so about 106bp?

/ value of Stihl 017?
so how much do you rekon its worth now
the price tag - yes its still there - on the top says £170 so sounds like you got yourself a bargain
i dont know how much in value they go down over time
how much would you pay fro a used, but still pristine and clean one?
thanks

/ value of Stihl 017? #4  
I would not pay more than half the cost of new unless I knew the owner and history of the saw etc.

If you need a saw and can do the work go for it.

/ value of Stihl 017?
thats the thing - i dont need the saw
i already have a bigger one hanging around, just it was given to me and i couldnt refuse
its all apart on my bench just need the new parts then itll go back together
guess i may aswell just do it, havent really got much to lose
thanks

/ value of Stihl 017? #6  
Mith here is a site that you can find parts and order them. hey if you got it apart you can probably get it back togather HUH?? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

parts

/ value of Stihl 017?
the link says cannot find sever or something, may just be my pc tho
i have a friedly stihl dealer nearby who hopefully can get hold of the bits, shipping from the USA would kill me anyway
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( hey if you got it apart you can probably get it back togather )</font>
i wouldnt bet on it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ value of Stihl 017? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font>( hey if you got it apart you can probably get it back togather )</font>
i wouldnt bet on it )</font>

Mith you got to have confidence and ALOT of time! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wish someone would give me something like that. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ value of Stihl 017?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mith you got to have confidence and ALOT of time! )</font>
not forgetting unending patience
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I wish someone would give me something like that )</font>
i work at a garden machinery dealer/servicing place at the weekends, a guy came in and bought a new saw and gave the old one to boss. he couldnt be bothered to do it up, he clearly didnt think it was worth the time
he gave it to me, my time is worth noting in winter, no lawns to mow so now im doing it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ value of Stihl 017? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( not forgetting unending patience )</font>

Oh so true! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif