Can I put wider wheels on a ZTR?

/ Can I put wider wheels on a ZTR? #1  

CajunRider

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45
My Gravely ZT1440 has very narrow wheels that cut ruts in the lawn easily. I am tired of having to be extra careful. Can I put wider wheels on a ZTR? If yes, what do you suggest?

/ Can I put wider wheels on a ZTR? #2  
CjR,

Do the tires cut in while going straight (read - sinking in) or only when turning (digging when pivoting)?

If when going straight, I see no problem other than you'll probably want to keep them narrower than the mower itself so you can pivot around trees and stuff.

If the latter (when turning), this can be stopped by assuring both tires are moving when doing any pivoting or turning. If you want to do a U-turn, don't pivot on a single tire. You need one tire going backwards, the other forward.

/ Can I put wider wheels on a ZTR? #3  
CajunRider, I assume we are talking rear wheels. So with that info the Gravely brochure states that you have a 23x9.5-12 tire on your mower,the next mower up 148Z has a 23x10.5-12 which would be a little wider without changing diameter. That is all I see available from gravely that would be a possible fit for you.
Moving up in tire diameter and size could cause issues with rubbing or interference with frame or gas tanks not to mention the frame to deck to ground geometry /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Can I put wider wheels on a ZTR? #4  
Clearance would be the major issue, as long as you can clear you should be fine.

However, most manufactures won't warranty wheel motors is oversized tires are used on them so keep that in mind if your unit is still under warranty.

/ Can I put wider wheels on a ZTR? #5  
gamble77, /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Most excellent point ,That would be enough to squelch another good Idea... Good thinking /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif on your toes today /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Can I put wider wheels on a ZTR?
It's cutting ruts sinking in. I am usually careful about spinning around a wheel so that's not an issue. The mower is out of warranty so I don't really care. I think that if the diameter is the same and I have clearance I'll put them in.

/ Can I put wider wheels on a ZTR? #7  
The thing to be careful about is if you are gonna get new wheels, make sure that the offset from the hub surface to the back of the rim is the same as what you currently have. As an example: if the current wheel is 8" wide and the hub is 3" from the back leaving 5" in the front and you want to go to a 10" wide wheel for your bigger tires, make sure the 3" dimension is the same on the new wheels. This is after also verifying that the 2" extra width outboard will not hit anything. This would pretty much guarantee that the new wheels and tires won't rub on the inside where interference is most likely.

/ Can I put wider wheels on a ZTR? #8  
I have also seen the addition of an extra set of wheels added, all they did was roll a 3" strip of 10ga to fit just inside of outer wheel lip and 3 pcs. of 3/8" all thread between both wheels.