JD 216 Starter Problem

/ JD 216 Starter Problem #11  
I am thinking You need that kit . $17.00 isn't that much and the installation is easy. Most John Deere dealers have them in stock. at least the one here did.

/ JD 216 Starter Problem #12  
12 volts at the battery? Is that trying to crank the starter or at rest? If your battery drops to 8 volts when the starter kicks in you have a bad battery. If your battery holds 11v or so while cranking then it is good. If you have a 4 volt drop from the battery to the starter you have a bad connection or wire. I have seen wires brake between the connectors. Don't assume a wire to be good. Don't assume a connection to be good. Take ALL connections appart, in the primary starting circuit, and clean with sand paper. While the wires are off flex them and feel for a broke wire.

Get it so you have full battery voltage at the starter or you are in for a loooooong trip.

Take a spare battery, like drive your car up next to the mower. Connect the - to the car - and to the mower frame. Connect the + to the car +. When you touch it to the power bolt for the starter, it should spin like a dog with a but itch.

/ JD 216 Starter Problem
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( 12 volts at the battery? Is that trying to crank the starter or at rest? If your battery drops to 8 volts when the starter kicks in you have a bad battery. If your battery holds 11v or so while cranking then it is good. If you have a 4 volt drop from the battery to the starter you have a bad connection or wire. I have seen wires brake between the connectors. Don't assume a wire to be good. Don't assume a connection to be good. Take ALL connections appart, in the primary starting circuit, and clean with sand paper. While the wires are off flex them and feel for a broke wire.)</font>

I was going to check the voltage while trying to crank the starter but I forgot.:p I'll try that tonight. Also, when my wife is out of town and my honey-do list is short, I was going to take the whole system appart and ohm out all wires to ensure they are good. Cleaning the contacts makes good sense too. In fact, I'll probably replace most of the wiring just to be safe.

</font><font color="blueclass=small">(
Take a spare battery, like drive your car up next to the mower. Connect the - to the car - and to the mower frame. Connect the + to the car +. When you touch it to the power bolt for the starter, it should spin like a dog with a but itch. )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gifHmm... I've never heard it referred to like that, but I agree. The only problem is this -- I can't fit my jumper cable into the area the starter is without shorting the connection to frame. Too big of a head on the cables. I'm probably going to have to disconnect the battery from the tractor and remove the supports for it as well as some sheet metal to get myself in a working position.

Thanks again for all the help. I'm continually amazed!

ps. I belive this is post number 100 /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <--- sorry, I just had to

/ JD 216 Starter Problem #14  
If you follow the wire from the starter back to the solenoid, you can connect your jumper wire to the same place that wire is hooked to the solenoid.

/ JD 216 Starter Problem
Thanks. I was thinking the same thing but that's hard to reach too. I think I'll undo the wire from the soloniod and let it hang out the side of the tractor. That should give me enough to hook to!

/ JD 216 Starter Problem #16  
Just a thought, can you turn the engine over by hand?

/ JD 216 Starter Problem
Update:

Engine turns over fine by hand. I can't spin it fast enough to actually start it, but the engine is free (not seized).

I went back and measured the voltage accross the battery while engaging the solenoid -- only around 8.3 volts. Looks like the battery is dead. It charged fine when I plugged it on the charger, but that may not really tell the whole story.

So -- since i've been threatened by the wife to get the indoor honey-do list shortened before the outdoor work starts up, I think I'll come back to this in a couple weeks. I don't need my tractor right now anyway since there is probably not going to be anymore significant snow and the lawn is not ready to mow yet (still some snow on the ground).

Thanks again for all the help!