Kohler, command VS. courage

/ Kohler, command VS. courage #1  

Geo148

I heard good & bad with both, I need your opinions.
The command is 18hp, The courage is 19hp. Is the courage that much more beter?
Is the a better post for this request? I'd like as much input as possible. Thanx Geo.

/ Kohler, command VS. courage #2  
I'm no Kohler expert. I can tell you that the Courage is the little brother to the Command. The Courage engines are all one cylinder and almost, if not all, Commands are v-twins. I would prefer a Command v-twin to any single cylinder engine. You can look at Kohlerengines.com to get all the details.

/ Kohler, command VS. courage #3  
Geo148,
I recently purchased a Cub Cadet lawn tractor with a Kohler Command. Yesterday I was doing some research on Kohler engines. I don't remember where I found this but here is what they said. Kohler Courage is an entry level engine and Command is a mid-range.
Will

/ Kohler, command VS. courage #4  
New to the site.....I read somewhere that the Commander is rated at 2000hrs and the Courage is rated at 750hrs....hence the idea of the Commander being built more durable....I suppose that is "controled" enviroments.....I own a 2005 LT1050 CUB witha 26hp Commander that has had no problems mowing close to 3 acres of level grass.

/ Kohler, command VS. courage #5  
The Courage is built in China. I have a little Courage engine on my Husquvarna push mower.

/ Kohler, command VS. courage #6  
I'm no Kohler expert. I can tell you that the Courage is the little brother to the Command. The Courage engines are all one cylinder and almost, if not all, Commands are v-twins. I would prefer a Command v-twin to any single cylinder engine. You can look at Kohlerengines.com to get all the details.

Courage and Command are 2 series of Kohler engine. There are singles and V Twins in both lineups, and hp ranges from about 6 to over 25 in both the Courage and Command lineups. I can't speak to the specific differences between the Courage and Command, but will echo the response that stated that the Courage is considered the "entry level" engine and the Command is a "commercial" engine. Generally speaking, either one will likely outlast whatever piece of new equipment it is installed on (with a few exceptions).

/ Kohler, command VS. courage #7  
My experiences with Command engines has been very good. When I was shopping mowers late this past winter, I could find very little good written about Courage engines. Admittedly, I have no experience with them.
I ended up buying a Scag with a Briggs in it.

/ Kohler, command VS. courage #8  
My MF mower has a 23hp Command and I've been very happy with it so far (77 hrs). Like Rick, I've not heard much good about Courage engines (specifically early models and singles), but the Courage V-Twins seem to get pretty favorable reviews. I still don't believe that the Courage V-Twins are built to a standard as high as Commands.

Last edited:
   / Kohler, command VS. courage #9  
I have a 20HP Kohler Command engine in my Legacy. The engine itself has been good, but I did replace the fuel pump at 250 hours, and replaced the starter at 500 hours. It's at 540 now.

/ Kohler, command VS. courage #10  
bought a Toro with a Kohler Courage 20 hp. At 230 hours the head cracked. Also the head bolts constantly had to be tightened.
I was told it was made in China and cheaper metal is used.

Last edited: