Does anyone mow 3+ acres with a $2000 mower?

/ Does anyone mow 3+ acres with a $2000 mower? #1  

hrb111

We are in the market for a new riding mower. It seems like everyone I've talked to, or read about in forums, who mow large yards have high dollar tractors. When I did a search for the Cub Cadet model that we have our eye on (LT1050), the people who owned it mow 1 acre or less with it! It will be like a Cadillac to us! My husband currently mows with a Simplicity (don't know model) 14hp/38" deck. As you might guess, it takes him all weekend to mow. So the 1000 series Cub Cadets with 26hp/50" deck will be a dream for us. Please help us with your advice. We are not savvy about this type of thing. My apologies if this is not in the appropriate forum. Have a great rest-of-the-week!

/ Does anyone mow 3+ acres with a $2000 mower? #2  
I mow 3 acres with a John Deer L130 and it does great. It was just a little under $2k.If your not looking for something to last you 2o years your lower end mowers will be fine and as you said , a big improvement over what you have. This post really belongs in Lawn and garden section and is further down the page. Good luck with your mower.

/ Does anyone mow 3+ acres with a $2000 mower?
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. Should I repost in Lawn and Garden?

/ Does anyone mow 3+ acres with a $2000 mower? #4  
My neighbor has a 2.5 acre lot. Of that, about 1.5 acres is lawn. He is on his 3rd or 4th year with an 18hp Craftsman and is looking for a new tractor because his is pretty much worn out. He doesn't abuse his tractor, he mows with it and then he washes it. Seems to take very good care of everything he owns. It is just too much for the lightly made tractor.

Now all that said, I love Cub Cadet garden tractors, I've purchased several of them, and still use the first one I bought. It is 12 or 13 years old, has mowed things it shouldn't have and taken all sorts of abuse. It mowed 4+ acres of my lawn for 8 or 9 years before I decided to get a mower deck for my larger tractor. But there is a difference between a lawn tractor and a garden tractor. I'm gathering you are on a tight budget and I can understand that, but I'd hate to see you beat up your Cub Cadet and regret spending the money on something that will likely disappoint you in 4 or 5 years. A garden tractor is heavier built than a lawn tractor, eventhough they both pretty much look the same. For the most part the only way to tell them apart is to try to pick them up or look for the GT or LT on the name plate. A garden tractor will last 2 decades mowing 3 acres. A lawn tractor may last you, or it may get pretty tired long before you think it should. It is far more of a gamble.

If it is a really good deal, then it might be a good buy. If you can get a GT instead of an LT, I would consider speding the extra money if you can.

/ Does anyone mow 3+ acres with a $2000 mower? #6  
When I was younger I mowed an acre with a 20" push mower for a couple years...

So I see no reason why you could not mow three acres with a riding mower.

It took me about six hours to do an acre...this is true. I don't know if I did well or if I was a slacker...but it was still six hours and I don't believe I did it back then...but I did.

I do believe I would not do it now though... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I also believe I should do it now though...put on a few pounds over the winter... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, you can get a lot of grass cutting out of a $2K mower...if that is what your budget dictates, go for it and don't look back... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Does anyone mow 3+ acres with a $2000 mower? #7  
hrb111, Hi and welcome to TBN , 3+ acres well heck yes , My pappy mows 3 or a little over with a store bought JD L130 and he likes it ... Originally he started with a Used Cubcadet with a Hydro knob and a 14hp kohler (too old),then moved up to a kubota B6100 ? (2 cyl. pretty rough idling and running ) , then to a bigger Kubota 3 cyl. 17hp hydro 5ft rear mower (not enough power), then finally thought it was overkill and sold it and got the JD.. So he's tried a bunch of tractor's and mowers and I haven't heard too much complaining about this one YET!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Does anyone mow 3+ acres with a $2000 mower? #8  
I'd want to whack 5 feet on each pass. With a 60" mower, you could do 3 acres in less than 2 hours.

We have a bit over 2 acres in grass, and the first "mower" I had for this property was a Cub 154 LoBoy with a 60" belly mower. Dislikes were the gas engine, no 3-point hitch, and the time it took to swap the mower deck/snow blade.

Next was a Ford1210 with hydrostatic trans and 4 wheel drive. The attraction was having a 3-point hitch and a 60" rear mower. This unit was going to be sold a few years ago when the Kubota came along. Still have it.

Now the favorite is a Kubota B7500 with hydro and 4WD. It also has a 60" rear mower. I can do our yard in a bit over 1.25 hours.

I have picked up a couple other yards to mow, so each week there are around 7 acres that get cut. The Ford is usually kept in a barn at one of the places I mow. One of my sons frequently helps me "double team" that one. It's around 5 acres....................chim

/ Does anyone mow 3+ acres with a $2000 mower? #9  
I mowed an estimated 3 acres of my place for 4 years with a Cub Cadet with an 11hp Kohler and 38" cut, and later one summer with a Craftsman with a 21hp Briggs and 46" cut. Of course, I did like it better when I was using a 60" rear discharge 3-point mower behind my Kubota B2710, but if you don't want a tractor, then I think you've selected yourself a very nice machine.

/ Does anyone mow 3+ acres with a $2000 mower? #10  
You could spend your $2000 on a good used series 2000 cub cadet tractor and get somthing that will last much longer than the LT series. Say away from anything sold at Lowes / Home Depot... they are made to hit price points and don't have the build quality that you need for that amount of mowing.