Tire chains on lawn and garden tractor???

/ Tire chains on lawn and garden tractor??? #1  

rebelmedic

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC48DA
Just wondering has anyone here used tire chains on their lawn/garden tractor? I have a craftsman 25hp 48inch cutt. I have couple of small hilly areas around driveway that the turf tires(I call them anti traction tires) refuse to move the mower up without great difficulty.Do the tire chains perform well compared to cost of $54 a set.

/ Tire chains on lawn and garden tractor??? #2  
I've never used any, but, I know there are lot of people on here that do. From what I've read people seem to like them. Some of the guys like the ag tires on the rear. That may be another option for you. What size tire do you have on the rear?

/ Tire chains on lawn and garden tractor??? #3  
Hi Rebelmedic, I live in Connecticut on some fairly uneven ground. I have a JD 314 with turf's and have little or no problems with traction in the Summer, even on wet grass. For Winter plowing/snow blowing, I use chains and wheel weights on my already loaded (with windshield washer fluid) tires. The chains & weights come off for the Summer, but the fluid stays in. This may be another option for you. WW fluid is usually on sale around here in the Spring for around 50 cents a gallon and now is an excellant time to start "loading up". Ag tires are another otion for around $150 plus rims for another $40 a piece. Due to my sometimes often laziness, I have left my chains on for the few weeks of mowing season and have not seen any marking in the grass from the chains, if this is a possible concern. Hope this gives you a little insight and helps, Bob

/ Tire chains on lawn and garden tractor??? #4  
Good morning

I used to put tire chains on my Craftsman 19HP lawn tractor to plough snow in the winter time.

I never used the chains for grass cutting as we are flat here, but they worked great in the snow.

Richard

/ Tire chains on lawn and garden tractor??? #5  
The problem with chains is that sooner or later they will tear the turf, no matter how careful you are. Adding to that, the damage to concrete or asphalt when/if you drive over it tends to make them a little bit more problematic. An option that works well for us, although it can be a little more expensive is a set of bar tires for the rear.

/ Tire chains on lawn and garden tractor??? #6  
I made a set of chains for my Gravely rider our of 2 old sets of car tire chains. Works great, but will tear up the ground a bit. I am not sure this is your best option. Ever thought about loading your tires with winshield washer fluid ? or get some more agressive tires maybe ?
Ben

/ Tire chains on lawn and garden tractor??? #7  
I picked up a pristine 1997 Honda riding mower at a farm auction a few years ago. I wanted a used riding mower to keep some tight spots between fence lines in my pastures mowed, where even my little Ferguson TO-20 wouldn't fit. I wasn't willing to use my "good" riding mower in those areas, so I wanted to pick something up at an auction real cheap. I was amazed that few people were interested in this mower, and I got it for $400. It had tire chains on it's rear wheels, and I asked the farmer who was retiring and selling all his equipment about it. He used it for his lawn, and for the tight spots in his pastures just like I wanted to. It's only 12 horsepower, so the chains help it's traction. Well, this little "beater" mower has outlived my "good" mower, and I use it on my lawn areas, too. The chains have never made a mark on the lawn, and I wouldn't hesitate to put tire chains on another riding mower.

/ Tire chains on lawn and garden tractor??? #8  
I keep chains ,and wheel weights on my mower at all times . It's a dedicated mower . No plowing ,or other duties .
I find that it doesn't tear up the Yard as much equipped this way .
I have a lot of mild side hills to mow ,and the soil is mostly clay . Without the chains and weights I seem to do more damage mowing . John

/ Tire chains on lawn and garden tractor??? #9  
rebelmedic

I'm not sure but I would guess that your machine doesn't have a steel or cast iron frame and transaxle so it's probably kind of light. This can be good for some things but not for wet grass traction with turf tires.

I would add some weight in the form of wheel weights or filled tires, or both. this may be all that you need. My Wheelhorse is well over 900 lbs with wheel weights and filled tires.

you do need to be careful to check the tighten the set screws on the rear hubs. The added weight can loosen the hubs and damage the keyways.

Some of the newer transaxels built today seem quite a bit lighter duty when compared to the older cast Iron units, so you may want to check with the manufacturer first.

/ Tire chains on lawn and garden tractor???
Thanx for all of the information everyone. I had never concidered loading the tires with washer fluid like a large tractor.Tires are 23x10.5x12.It has a steel frame and cast iron front end, do not know weight. I have concidered the small Ag tires but, this thing is only one year old still a lot of use in the tires and,not have to change tires back and forth. I have 15 acres mow 4 so if chains dig a little, no problem here. Thanx again i`ll perhaps try weight then chains if still needed.