Kubota ZD21

/ Kubota ZD21 #1  

Boner

Silver Member
Hello all. I would like to hear from some ZDxx owners to see how you like the unit. I cant seem to find a dealer that has one in stock. From local to across the country, everybody has at least a three week waiting list. I have 2 flat acres, and will cut a couple yards on the side to help make the note. I read from one guy who said the cut on the ZD was horrible, but that was the only negitive post I've seen. It has the major features that I want. Diesel, fuel & temp guages, 60"deck... I am also looking at the BX. I would be pleased with either. They both have their advantages. I am mainly concerned about whether the ZD will last as long as the BX. For $10,000, I only want to go through this once. So, if you have a ZD, hook me up! What do you like, what dont you like?

THANKS

-Ben

/ Kubota ZD21 #2  
Sorry, no ZD but a BX and if you are only cutting your own yard and a "couple" others, i would opt for the versatility of a BX. The ZD's are meant for mowing production, the BX will let you do alot more, but won't mow quite as fast, your choice!

/ Kubota ZD21
Well, I'm not sure about the "mowing as fast part." On paper, they both travel the same speed, and have the same size deck. (60") So I'm not sure if cutting as fast depends on obstacles, or does it really "cut faster?" I believe there is one guy on TBN that as both a BX, and a ZD21. He would be a good source to consult with on differences. My yard is 150 x 520. One long rectangle. The BX would be fine, and I agree about versatility. I can prune my own trees to fit the ROPS. However the yards that are out of my hands, the ZD would probably be better for. I'm sure I could still do other's with the BX, but it would probably warrant more weedeating.

Does anyone here have a BX with alot of trees? If so, how does it perform?

Does anyone here do any "for hire" work with their BX?

Those questions may belong in another forum???

-Ben

/ Kubota ZD21 #4  
I only have 20+ trees on my property (plan to increase this 10x in the fall). I have no problems with the BX in terms of maneuverability - great with the hydro etc. One issue is that you can only mow between trees with 60" or greater between them - same issue for the ZTR or the BX!!

My trees are either evergreens (wide at the base) - or are mulched. Makes life easier. If you have to mow right up to the trunks then there may be a little trimming involved. Where I do all of my trimming is around the house - I have a couple of trees tight against the deck - and also have to trim around the A/C unit, basement window wells etc. You just can't win them all.

Hmmm, just had a thought for a handy gadget - I'll post it separately.

/ Kubota ZD21 #5  
i bought a zd 21 a few months ago. absolutely the best mower i've ever been on. i've owned simplicity tractors, cub tractors, simplicity zt1850, john deere 935, dixon, and tried out, demo'd, and looked at every zt on the market. if someone is complaining of the cut, they got a bad setup problem or something!! i cut 3 acres, with 60 to 70 trees, in exactly hour and a half. i was leaning towards a bx, but didn't really need attachments, etc. i made a hitch for my zd, and pull anything and everything with it. availability is a problem, most told me 3 to 4 week wait. i got prices of $10,300, $9800, $9400, and finally, $8800, which i bought of course. the dealer (botkins, ohio) , had 3 in stock. if you don't need to backhoe, blade, and front end load, the zd is the best!!

/ Kubota ZD21
No, I don't need a backhoe, or loader. The BX looks like it would have no problem lasting 20+ years. I have not had the opportunity to look at the ZD, so I dont know what to think about it. Also, I am curious if the BX can cut as fast as the ZD? I am not talking about any obstacles, just a straight line. They are both rated at around 9.5 mph, with a 60" deck, but can the BX cut at that speed? I read somewhere that around 6.5 mph was the average cut speed of the BX. This will also play a major factor in decision making.
Since you've had yours long enough to get to know it, is there anything that you don't like about it? Anything you like better on others?

THX
-Ben

/ Kubota ZD21 #7  
boner-the only thing i didn't like is that i had to make a hitch for it. you'd think for that kind of money, a hitch would surely be standard. as far as speed goes, i compared the same as you are, on all the mowers i looked at. you got to remember the speed don't mean a whole lot if it looks like hell when the row is done. the zd21 will cut as smooth at wide open as it does just puttin around. that amazed me. i can not even think of mowing at wide open, cause my yard is so rough, it would throw me out of the seat. it's that quick!! really!! only thing close to a complaiont is that it took a time or two to 'zero-turn' just right to keep from tearing up the grass. the zd has a lot of torque, and it will tear up the grass, but just like any zero turn will if not operated correctly.

/ Kubota ZD21
Do you use it just at home, or do you hire out also? Did you look at the BX when shopping, or were you just hunting for ZTRs? What do you believe the life span of a ZD21 would be? I am hung inbetween the ZD21 & the BX. I think life span may be the tie-breaker. I only want to go through this once. Hey, what is the lever to the left of the drivers seat? Parking brake? Is the dial height adjust accurate? How does it handle on slopes/hills? How does the ride compare to an exmark?

THANKS A BUNCH for bearing with me. These things are not at any dealer around here. Looks like I may have to order one, just to get to see it. :(

Ben

/ Kubota ZD21 #9  
Ben, I am the guy who own's both the BX200 and ZD21. I just answered your private message and gave you my opinion of both machines. If anyone else is interested, I can post on this forum.

Jon S.

/ Kubota ZD21 #10  
I am interested in what you have to say. I am also looking at the BX, but don't need any of the attachments. If the ZD does significantly better at mowing I may need to do more shopping.