What to Look for in A ZTR

/ What to Look for in A ZTR #11  
I had similar questions and have researched many different brands and models. I agree that the commercial units are your best bet and based on my budget and needs have narrowed my choices down to the Country Clipper Charger, they have a 20HP Kohler with a 48" deck on special now, I was quoted $5,600. This unit is built like a tank and has a flip forward deck, joy stick and actuating front end. My second choice is the Ferris 1500 with a 21 hp Kawasaki, I like the rear IFS and front actuating suspension with coil over shocks, I also like the Simplicity Citation, it also has the rear IFS and an actuating front end, minus the shocks. The one I looked at had a 52" deck and rode really nice on rough terrain. It has full roller at rear of deck, the Ferris doesn't and the Simplicity has the Briggs Vangaurd at 21HP. I was told Ferris now makes the Simplicity and they are alike in many ways. No unit was over $5,900 and the Ferris and Simplicity did the best on rough terrain with some slope. Good Luck!

/ What to Look for in A ZTR
vicory,

I have been impressed with both the Ferris and Simplicity machines you mention. I have not seen a Country Clipper because there isn't a dealer near me (I'm going to check again to be sure...). The IFS on both the Ferris and Simplicity looks very nice and comfy, and both have dual pumps and motors. My only concern is that I wasn't real impressed with the dealer when I looked at them (both are sold by the same guy, wouldn't you know...), but I plan on going back and giving them another shot soon.

/ What to Look for in A ZTR #13  
I'd suggest taking any you look at for a test spin, or two or three. I've looked at all that's out there, then made a list of things that was important to me and my mowing needs. I then tested and eliminated ones off my list based on my needs. I've tested the 3 I've narrowed my list to several times, I have 3 dealers and each is now going to bring them to my home for a spin on my land and hopefully that will help.

Don't rule country clipper out, they are apparently adding dealers, go to their site, do a dealer locate which takes you to their brokers site, then call his 800 number. Kentucky only showed a few dealers but when I called him he gave me 4 dealers that they'd added in past 2 years that wasn't on their site. Yes, they should update the site but you might find a dealer close to you this way. Hope it works out, no matter what you decide!

/ What to Look for in A ZTR #14  
Sportzkat, This site is great for info isn't it ? Thats the thing I really like about it, Also its sister site Countrybynet is good for farmers ,do-it yourselfers etc.

One more thing on the ZTR deal, You said you live in VA. well thats just across the Bridge and most places will deliver free if you buy from them. There is probably a distance threshold I'm sure.

I have driven the gravely 260Z and it seems like a good unit and is priced at $6995 in lanham Md. there dealer also sells the hustler line and scag ,the name is Kohler equipment if you care to give them a try.
Gravely also has a new line of homeowner ZTR's built on a commercial chassis, I have seen them and they do look Beefy! The 2148 is its name 21hp 48" seen here is priced at $4400 in my area. I didn't check them over too close because I need a 60".

Some more of the reasons I finally went with the Lesco mower besides the ease of maintainence , easy belt changes no tools needed, deck removal if neccessary no tools all bail clips, pump fans , reclining seat, lawn striper , tachometer, hour meter , 1 yr. full warranty, 2yr. on everything but engine... OH and of course the sale price!! If your looking for a 54" its currently priced at $5799 and it has the same features as the 60".

The reason I'm giving this second post is because there website site is rather weak for info and if your really looking for what I call a top-notch unit (IMO)this compares with others at a higher price . They don't have much of a marketing strategy that I have noticed because until last week I never new they exsisted! I wouldn't want to get in a debate as to which Ztr is better than another but for my homeowner dollars I feel this is about the best deal I could find and am satisfied with my decesion. That is all you have to be also, is satisfied with your decesion. I don't really know anything about Ztr's that I haven't mentioned but thats the beauty of this site , other do know /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Lastly the Lesco and the CubCadets M60 are made on the same assembly line and the dealer stocks parts for their products. There might be some differences in the two but they are basically the same unit.

Hope this info is helpful and doesn't come across as mine is best ,because it is not ment that way, Its just best for me..
I Hope /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vicory,

I have driven a couple (John Deere 797, Hustler FasTrak, and Ferris 1500) and I also plan on having them come out to me before I buy anything. I'll call Country Clipperand check with them but, according to their site, the closest dealer is about 60 miles away.

Thx again for the input.

nasty,

I have gotten better info on this site than any other. People have taken the time to really write something, as opposed to just throwing out a sentence or two, just enough to confuse me!

I am in SW VA, so I am not really close to the MD dealers. We in SW VA like to pretend that NoVA is another state!

I'll call the Lesco folks and try to get more info. Your right, their site leaves a LOT to be desired.

Finally, I don't take your comments as "better than yours" at all, I apprecaite the input. Thx...

/ What to Look for in A ZTR #17  
Sportskat,
I'll second or third the testimonials for Scag. I bought the Scag Wildcat last year and have been a ZTR convert ever since. It makes mowing more fun than it ever was before! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I mow 4 acres mostly old tomato field. Very bumpy. I do not mow near full speed, but still save time compared to my other tractors.
Lots of good makes out there. Try em out to get the feel. A good seat is worth paying extra for IMHO.

have fun shopping,

Moon of Ohio

/ What to Look for in A ZTR #18  
Never heard of Lesco either, and you're right about the web site. 1320lb on a 19hp 48in?!! If the quality is even half decent, that thing is the proverbial brick "outhouse".

Irronically, I liked the M48s but the budget didn't. Noticed the Simplicity and Ferris listed here, so [despite posting this in a couple other threads] thought their other cousin belonged here too. Just bought a 04 SnapperPro NZM<font color="blue">21<font color="red">52<font color="black">1KWV nicely discounted for a few demo hours. Research and thrice over look good, but only time will tell!!!

Chad