Cub Cadet RTZ50, RTZ42, or regular YT?

/ Cub Cadet RTZ50, RTZ42, or regular YT? #1  

MesquiteMan

Tractor
ScatTrak 1750D
I just registered here after trying to register on Gardenweb 3 different times before I found you all. For some reason I could never get a confirmation from them. Thanks for the easy registration, btw.

I have 15 acres in central texas with about 2 that I need to mow regularly. Lots of oak trees with grass that consists mostly of native weeds with maybe 1/2 acre of bermuda. Somewhat rough out in the weeds but all the rocks are picked up. Mostly flat with some very gradual slopes.

I have been looking at a couple of different mowing options, both Cubs. I looked at the LT1042 or LT1050 vs. the RTZ 50. Both from Lowes or Tractor Supply. What would be the best of the three for my use? I do not need to ever pull anything as I have an ATV for that and I have a ScatTrak skid loader for any other tractor work. I just want to mow. No snow here either!

I know the Z-force is the best for ZTR that cub offers but I just can't swing the money. The RTZ 50 would be at the top of my price range. Is the RTZ 50 a decent mower or should a go with something different. What about ZTR's vs. a regular lawn tractor? I could save $1,200-1,500 by going with a LT but I know my time woudl go up considerably, plus it would not be as fun!

Or should I consider a RTZ42 instead of the 50? it is only $300 less so I think the larger would be better. Husqvarna also has a 42" ZTR, should I consider it as well?

I know I have asked a lot of question but I am looking to you guys for the final decision. I am leaning towards the RTZ 50. Am I making a mistake?

Thanks a lot for you time and replies!

/ Cub Cadet RTZ50, RTZ42, or regular YT? #2  
Now that is funny, I wound up here the same way [and never did get registerd on the garden one]!! The best part is that this forum seems much less biased [though I still suggest reading the garden and commercial mowing sites too before buying a mower], covers tractors too [a plus for me], and more fun to boot!

Anyway, I know it won't work but I'll try to put this to bed for once and all:
the smallest width [that you refuse to do with push or weedwacker] determines the largest size deck. Once you establish that; [for a given mowing time investment] more acres require wider deck or more speed whether tractor or ZTR (actuall mowing speed is tricky: this relates back to deck design and blade speed). Obstacles (like your tress) really demand ZTRs; pull behind equipment [I know wagons etc are OK for some ZTRs] demands a tractor style.

If you're really only interested in the 2 acres, the Z-Force is the right tool for the job and you probably qualify for a finance plan with it ("twice the machine" for "25% more initial investment" might be a good analagy.) Unless perfectly flat ground, TSCs Cub frames in either style aren't made for 2 acres. Also, cheap Cubs (RZT), Craftman's units, and the like, have the cheaper drive units and engines...really pushing it for 2 acres IMHO! Any more than 2 or 3 acres; I'm still sold on independant pumps and wheel motors like the commercial units.

I know what your short term budget says [same quandry; broke down and almost doubled my budet!!] but to not be eaten alive by maintenance and replacement cost 15 acres [Wow!!], almost says Utility Tractor with 6ft belly plus a small ZTR; a commercial grade ZTR would be the next choice.

Back to 2 acres: if you're dead set on the two choices you mentioned, I'd say the RZT; just because I think you'll spend less time mowing and maybe buy some longevity that way!!!

BTW if you do decide to look at a ZForce; ask the dealer to let you demo a M54 or M60 Turf Tank...now theres a machine worthy of the CC logo!!

Good luck!!!

Chad

/ Cub Cadet RTZ50, RTZ42, or regular YT? #3  
Reread your post...I forgot to state the obvious the ZForce 44 could save some cash over the ZForce50 and I think you'd have a lot better machine than the RZT50. Also, don't count on TSC or Lowes for service; knowing you'll still need perventative maintenance, if not warrenty work [even happens to good machines], your local Cub dealer may be able to swing a few bucks off the price, but I know the margins for the dealers are pretty tight these days. Also, if you're out of town, a dealer may be able to give you a cooresponding tax rate [save maybe 3 - 5%].

While at the dealer or browsing papers; don't forget used [if you can find one not beat to crap!].

Finally; I like the Cub name [if it's not sitting in front of TSC, who I do like for general supplies], but if you don't have a local dealer, you "may" be looking at the wrong brand!

Chad

/ Cub Cadet RTZ50, RTZ42, or regular YT? #4  
I forgot to mention maintenance too!!

Do any recommended PM as well as anything else logical to keep the machine in shape...or you'll be posting on the "Why hate MTD" thread here [not bad reading BTW] or some corresponding one somewhere for whatever brand you decide on!

Do the maintenance and less luck is required! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chad

/ Cub Cadet RTZ50, RTZ42, or regular YT? #5  
I replied to your post in the Cub forum. What spiffy said is right. If there is any way possible to move up to the Z-Force I would recommend it.

/ Cub Cadet RTZ50, RTZ42, or regular YT? #6  
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I've got the big head now....I was asking Gamble77 about Cubs just a week ago....

Two more threads somewhat apply to you (same ballpark of 2 acres and semi-bumpy conditions &/or a few weeds). These guys mostly opted for true commercial units, but the Z-Force does fill a nice gap. If it wasn't for a couple more acres and the abuse I was looking at (and a good buy at the right time); one more would have been sold!

<font color="blue"> ZTRs and what to look out for.
<font color="black"> and more recently:
<font color="blue"> What to look for in a ZTR</font>

Also, hope I didn't scare you with my 15acre comments, but just hate to see you burn the life of a nice machine "mowing down the outback" a couple times a year. Perhaps renting the right machine or hiring someone for this purpose would come out way ahead [assuming the "non-yard" conditions are what I'm imagining].

Good Luck!
Chad

/ Cub Cadet RTZ50, RTZ42, or regular YT? #7  
You GO Spiffy! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've got the big head now.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)</font> <font color="blue"> </font> Your gonna do just fine here at TBN , Ment in a good way /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Cub Cadet RTZ50, RTZ42, or regular YT? #8  
Thanks for the welcome Nasty! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It will be fun to hear how the Lesco performs; I'll try to post the /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif/ /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif/ /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif on the Snapper after it puts some acres under the deck.

Mesquite, I'm not sure whether all the ZTR users were out spring prepping their machines this weekend, I "answered" all the ussual questions, or your thread got obscured by the other 2 or 3 ZTR threads recently, but it looks like you do have fairly concuring opinions so far.

Gamble seems to know a lot about the Cubs [not to mention Grasshopper, and some other brands too] and I think Nasty went through pretty much the same research [though different location skews some names and colors] I did lately.

In short:
Based on your description, ZTR sounds pretty obvious.

If your area is measured in acres &/or has bumps etc spending a little more [for quality or features not just a nameplate] will often "cost you less." Of course, it's easy to spend your money for you! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Side note: a post, somewhere else, mentioned flattening the bumps to gain longevity on your bones and whatever machine you chose.

There's a lot to be said for visiting some dealers; granted, they each may have a little "color bias", but it's in their best interest to show you the right tool for the job. Worst case, you can still go back and buy from TSC if you're completely alienated.

Again, good luck!!!

Chad

/ Cub Cadet RTZ50, RTZ42, or regular YT?
Thanks everyone for the information so far. I went this weekend to TSC for their demo days and drove a RTZ42. I DEFINATELY will not be getting that one. Only a single cylinder and didn't seem very powerful After that I went and rode a RTZ50 at Lowes and really liked it. It is 2 cylinder and has dual hydro pumps and pivoting front axel. It also hauls butt and seemed really powerful. The thing I am not sure about is it has a stamped steel frame.

I am going to go this week to a regular Cub dealer and drive a Z-force 44 to see if I like it any better. It is $600 more but has a Kohler vs B&S and is welded steel. Hopefully I will decided in the next week.

If I buy the Z-force I will still order it through Lowes as the nearest regular dealer is 50 or so miles away from me. I also really liked the salesman and believe it or not, he gets a commission on it. They also will give me 10% off. I guess I will play the price game and see if the dealer will beat it and maybe buy from him. Who knows!

Thanks again for the info. I will post once I get one to let you all know what I ended up with.

/ Cub Cadet RTZ50, RTZ42, or regular YT? #10  
Glad you have at least seen and soon to experience the difference between the two machines.

The only other piece of advice I would give you is to seriously consider buying from the dealer, even though he is a ways away. He might not be able to get you that extra 10% off but the relationship you establish with them will gain you unforseen dividens.

If you buy from TSC and for whatever reason you need warranty work done you will just have to send it to that Cub dealer anyway, and if you already have a relationship built with that dealer things will go smoother. Just my thoughts...

Good luck shopping and keep us posted!